pine tar salt bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting idea! Maybe HP, though? My 25% pine tar bars are very soft - they sat in the attack in their orange juice box molds for at least 2 years before I got around to unmolding and slicing. But the salt would harden them up.

Wow, I make a 20% pin tar and they harden enough to cut within a day. They are softer then my other soaps but cure out hard in a few weeks.
I could do HP but I think I'll try CP first using 20% PT. Might get around to it later today, have to finish cleaning the fish tanks first.

Well, that was exciting. I knew PT would accelerate, especially at 20%so I mixed the salt into the oils before adding the lye so I could move fast and get it all mixed together. Added the lye solution (100% aloe juice), hand stirred and all looked well so I used the SB for maybe 10 seconds before it started getting thick. By the time I removed the SB and got it set on the counter, the batter was solid as a rock.

Using the SB was stupid, I should have just hand stirred, it probably would have been fine. I wrapped the soaping bowl in a towel hoping it would gel enough to thin out so I could get it in a mold. Sure enough, it gelled fast and hot, within 5 minutes I was able to pour it into a slab mold.

Its lumpy, looks a lot like browny batter but its in the mold! Now to watch it close so I can get it out and cut in time. Lumpy pics in awhile.

Brine bar would probably behave a bit better but I would still hand stir it in. Pine tar is just bad about causing acceleration, combined with the salt it was just too much. I would make this recipe again though, it finicky but doable.

I used a Popsicle stick but a paint stick would have been much better. Ugly pics lol. Cross your fingers I can get the stuff cut, its still hot as all get out.

2e36053.jpg

11iogma.jpg

Yeah, it does. Too bad it doesn't smell like brownies, or better, taste like them lol. I was able to cut just a few minutes after my last post, got a bit of crumbles but not bad at all.

jkkdpc.jpg

Mmmm... that's making me hungry. Does it smell anything like it looks? lol

No it doesn't, smells like burnt rubber and oranges:sick:

Last edited:
Eh, there isn't anything I'm not willing to try. Most any mistake can be fixed one way or the other. I used orange EO in these, I didn't measure but its probably around .50 oz PPO. The PT scent is almost non existent at this point, the orange cover it really nicely. I know the orange will never survive a long cure but at least is covered the stink.

I did a quick test wash with the crumbles. It lathered just fine, slightly brown tinted but not near as bad as coffee soap. It leaves a weird, sticky residue on the skin but once fully dry, the sticky goes away. Hopefully it will get better with a cure. If I did a repeat, I would use less PT, see if that helps with the sticky.

Latest posts

Back