Pine Tar Salt Bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeitsashley

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has done a salt bar with pine tar? I was thinking of doing a recipe that is 10% Pine Tar and 90% Coconut Oil with a superfat of 20-25%. I've read all the wonderful benefits of both a salt bar and a pine tar bar but, not the two together. Any input is greatly appreciated!

I personally would not try it but only because I believe it would seize. I make pine tar soap and I make salt bars, both are very thick and set up fast, about as fast as I'm willing to work with. Combined I believe would be asking for soap on a stick.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with trying it but I'm just not willing to put my own ingredients at risk.

If you do decide to try it I would suggest soaping very cold and using a lard based recipe (or your slowest moving recipe), and I would leave my stick blender out of the equation entirely. Good luck.

I am also betting on it will not work. I have made a brine pine tar soap that is nice, but it did set up fast and was not nice to cut. I also make salt bars but have not tried to make a full salt bar with pine tar

What the heck? May as well try a one pound batch so you don't lose much if it's a bust. I would leave it at coconut and PT, myself, as it seems like CO isn't awfully speedy to trace and if it works, you want to have a chance at lather. Maybe keep the salt at 50% and make sure that is stirred in well before you try to add your PT. I'd probably dilute the PT in some of the liquid CO and hold that back until you are ready to mix in the PT part. That's what I do in PT soaps. I mix the PT and my soft oils together before adding it to the hard oils that I've SB'ed at least to emulsion with the lye water. YOu'd have to watch closely for your time to cut, but I think it would be interesting to try.

People have swirled salt soaps so it doesn't always set up too fast. Hope springs eternal!! I vote for a small batch experiment.

I made salt bars with pine tar and neem once. I wanted to use 5% of each but I didn't have quite enough neem. I ended up using 6.56 oz of PT and 3.44 oz neem. Mixed it all by hand and poured fast. It had really bad lather, even with a long cure so I ended up having to powder it all to add to a new batch of soap.

I agree with newbie, try a small batch. But don't even think about using your stick blender, because it's going to move fast. What the heck, you never know unless you try. Good luck!

It's funny, everyone says coconut oil is slow to trace but my batches trace within 30 seconds to 1 min of burst blending with the stick blender.....

If you try this, please post...I'm curious to see if you are able to get it in the mold :).

Maybe just go straight to HP? Would that even work?

I know this thread is old, but I thought of making a similar recipe this morning and checked the board to see if it had ever been done. Curious how it turned out!

I know this thread is old, but I thought of making a similar recipe this morning and checked the board to see if it had ever been done. Curious how it turned out!

I ended up making another batch of pine tar salt bars. Used 80% coconut, 20% pine tar. 35% salt
It seized immediately so I covered the bowl until it gelled, stirred and plopped it in a mold.

It's a oily feeling bar and is soft. It's been awhile since I tried it last but I don't see it improving. Too much pine tar is unsaponified due the high SF.

If you really want to use pine tar, keep it at 10% or lower and only use 30-50% salt. Cure for a very long time, I'd go for at least a year

I did 7 % pine tar and 20% sea salt. It’s not a typical high coconut oil soap and I did not care about the lather for the bar. Salt was added at light trace and then poured quickly. Mid pour into my single bar molds it started to get really thick but I got it in well enough. It’s a nice hard bar but definitely does not lather well but I will call it a light high mineral lather for my customers expectation

Latest posts

Back