pine tar recipe suggestions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the best pine tar soap I make %of 650 grams 1% Vee gum T, and 9% Mahavir potash feldspar 200 mesh, mix with some oil, 5% pine tar, 40% olive oil, 30% beef tallow, and 15% coconut oil. this will trace fast , so be ready, this soap makes your hands feel incredible . somthing about the bentonite, and the balancing of it with feldspar.

I mixed the feldspar into the 40% olive oil, the lyeamount is 75g and a water of 166 gram, mix the Vee gum into the lye water before you addd lye

This is the best pine tar soap I make %of 650 grams 1% Vee gum T, and 9% Mahavir potash feldspar 200 mesh, mix with some oil, 5% pine tar, 40% olive oil, 30% beef tallow, and 15% coconut oil. this will trace fast , so be ready, this soap makes your hands feel incredible . somthing about the bentonite, and the balancing of it with feldspar.
Sorry, I don't understand the use of these two ingredients:

Veegum T: this appears to be a special form of bentonite clay; is that correct? I'm not a huge fan of bentonite in soap, as opposed to the kaolins or french clays. I'd be interested to know why the bentonite would be a better choice for this soap.

Mahavir potash feldspar 200 mesh: this appears to be a pottery ingredient. What is its purpose in soap?

Thanks for explaining since I'm always interested to hear what others are doing with their soapmaking.

Sorry, I don't understand the use of these two ingredients:
That makes two of us! 🤔 🤔 Thanks for asking the question. 😁

BTW, I love Aztec Healing Clay (Bentonite). I use it in my shaving soap -- it's slickery for a smooth close shave; in Detox Bath Salts; and as a facial mask mixed with 2:1 water to clay for sensitive, mature skin. It's a good thing. ;)

@Zany_in_CO I too love it in facial masks and bath soaks, just not in CP or HP soap. The soap texture is very uneven, with some crumbly spots, like the bentonite absorbed too much of the water. But I haven't tried it in shave soap, so that's a possibility. Would love to hear how the OP uses it, and if it is a special kind that works better for CP soap.

But I haven't tried it in shave soap, so that's a possibility.
You can't just add bentonite to your recipe, if that's what you're thinking. My shave soap isn't the typical Coconut / Tallow / Stearic Acid that's popular here. It's part of a balanced formula to give the best shave ever, developed over 3 years, tweaking each year I made it.

Ingredients: Avocado oil & healing Aztec clay provide a close shave with
smooth glide & minimal razor clog. Coconut oil, palm oil & castor oil,
provide great lather. Olive oil & cocoa butter (moisturizing emollients);
stearic acid, linseed oil, & soybean oil (antibacterial humectants to seal
moisture in) Green tea & vitamin E (antioxidants). Fragrance.

Lather improves greatly after 2-3 uses and gets even better over time.
Expect a 3-ounce bar to last 3 months with daily use. TIP: Can also be used
once a week as a clay mask facial.

When my DH first used it he could shave his entire face without have to rinse the blade. It left his face feeling clean and moisturised. He no longer came to the breakfast table with tissue stuck to a nick or two after shaving with his favorite aerosol; and no more "5 o'clock shadow"! Plus, the ladies loved it because we didn't have to shave our legs as often. 😁

Latest posts

Back