pine tar recipe suggestions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have a lard based pine tar recipe that is relatively hard?
The last one I made stayed a bit soft, maybe I used too much tar at 20%. I'd like to use at least 15%

This one was on the edge of being too hard and brittle with 25% tallow and 10% PT. Hubby also didn't like it as well as my no-tallow version. I'd probably take 5% from the tallow and add it to the PT if you want to do a 15% PT version.

Castor Bean Oil 5%
Pine tar 10%
Coconut Oil 10%
Tallow 25%
Lard 50%

He and I both like this one better. If you want to go to 15% PT, I'd eliminate the Avocado and add that 5% to the PT.

Avocado Oil 5%
Pine tar 10%
Coconut Oil 12%
Sunflower, high oleic 18%
Lard 50%

Thanks @DeeAnna. I didn't see this until after I had already made my batch. I ended up only using 10%, it seems to be plenty.

Lard 50%
Coconut 20%
Olive 15%
Pine tar 10%
Castor 5%

Behaved a little better then my last batch, I got a good minute to handmix in the tar before it hit thick trace. By the time I got it poured, it was setting up but still soft enough I was able to poke at the top some and make it look purposeful.

I used Bickmore tar this time, its thinner and a bit smokier then the last stuff I used.

just pulled it out of the fridge, it still gelled but at least it didn't split down the middle like all my other recent soaps.

Attachments

• 20200806_174235.jpg
    20200806_174235.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 41
Looks good! I'm glad you had good results.

I have always used 10% PT and have been pretty happy with how the soap turns out. It doesn't last as long as the same recipe without PT, but it's not ridiculously short lived, especially when you take into consideration that DH rubs this soap directly on his (rather hairy) chest and really loves to make lots of lather. Soap never lasts as long when used that way.

But he really likes this kind of soap and he has fun with it. If keeping him supplied with PT soap is all it takes to make him happy, well then.... ;)

I too have a hairy chested hubby who uses it to lather his soap🤣

I'm not sure he will use the pine tar, I hope so. I don't want to use the whole batch myself. I also just made neem soap, two batches of stink to go through lol.

I know you and I have tried various % of neem. What % do you like the best nowadays? I'm using a well cured 20% neem bar in the shower right now and have been enjoying it. Very mild neem odor and an all around nice soap. Except for the odd odor, neem is a good fat to use for soap making.

I think 20% - 25% is a good range for neem. The ones I just made are 25 but they also have 25% coconut which is just too much for me. They are for my FIL, he really liked this recipe last time.
I think once the scent fades, DH will like the extra cleansing too.

I never did find the batch of 100% I made. All I can think is somehow I picked up the bag I had them stored in and tossed it.

The scent doesn't bother me too much anymore. Its a bit strong for the first few days but its much more tolerable then pine tar.

Yeah, I agree. The neem odor is much softer than pine tar especially after the first few weeks. For all of the angst I hear about the smell of neem soap, I have to say I'm okay with it. ;)

Rosin (colophony) can be used as an ingredient in soap, but it's really not a replacement for or alternative to pine tar. Rosin is really tricky to include as an ingredient -- even more so than pine tar -- so study up on how to use rosin before you try this type of additive. I have never seen any reference that suggests rosin-based soap was ever used for skin problems like tar soap is.

I have a question, make some Pine Tar soap, following the recipes I find, but I always like to check them against a calc, BUT, I have not found any that list pine tar as an oil, am I missing something? Is pine Tar NOT and oil? I would like to get this straight in my head, so any more experienced soapers feel free to educate this Grasshopper, thanks.

obsidian, thank you, I have been using Majestic Mountain, I do not know how to use Soapcalc yet, I guess I need to sit down and figure that one out.

Can 'Pine Rosin' be used in soap making?
As little as an ounce of rosin in a 5 lb batch boosts lather.
ROSIN saponifies much like an oil but without any resulting glycerin. It gives a smooth cold cream finish to the lather and also acts as a detergent and preservative.
SoapCalc - Rosin has the same SAP value as Wheat Germ Oil.
May cause contact dermatitis in sensitive individuals.
Can it replace 'Pine Tar'?
No. Think of Pine Tar as an additive. Although it is listed, it has no FA (Fatty Acids) so it looks like this on the print out.
Screen Shot 2021-02-26 at 3.11.11 PM.png

Rosin is really tricky to include as an ingredient -- even more so than pine tar
:thumbs: This is true. To make it easier to work with, I buy rosin powder or grind the rock type to a fine powder in a dedicated food processor. It is sticky (think tree sap) and has a high melting point. Once melted, it's difficult to get it out of the container once it cools. So, I melt it down with an equal amount of coconut oil, pour into individual round cavity molds; freeze for an hour; pop the disks out and freeze them in a ZipLoc bag until I need one.
Rosin powder can be found locally during baseball season at a sporting goods store. Players use it on their gloves. It may also be available at music stores. String musicians use it on their bows to reduce friction.

obsidian, thank you, I have been using Majestic Mountain, I do not know how to use Soapcalc yet, I guess I need to sit down and figure that one out.
It is worth the time and trouble if you want to design your own soap. MMS (Majestic Mountain Sage) is good for making a "tried and true" soap recipe. If you want to formulate your own recipe you will want to use one of the others. Here's a link for a brief explanation on how I go about it. I always caution Newbies to take a cuppa with them to play -- the hours pass quickly! You can learn a lot there by using your mouse to hover over each number and the various subjects on the page. ;)

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/pinkish-soap.82993/page-2#post-876192

Latest posts

Back