Pine tar PITA

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyeroll

Reaction score
I made pine tar soap yesterday for my dad, and this thing had better cure world hunger and global warming.

Any suggestions on rendering the tar itself easier to work with? I don't have a microwave, so heated the can up in a pot of water on the stovetop. What a nightmare.

I didn't heat my PT. It was measured in a throw away cup. It was added at light trace and hand stirred at this point. Clean up wasn't near as bad as some project. Does take a few days to harden enough to cut.

i'm with belinda. my experience wasn't so bad either. i just pour the pt directly to the oils. mine is pourable, no heating/stirring needed. cleaning was a bit of a nightmare though. the **** thing was sticky beyond belief.

yer gonna love yer pt soap :)

I second Obsidian's method -- Put the bowl of liquid oil on my scale and pour the PT directly into the oil. I've used Bickmore PT as well as the Swedish Auson PT and didn't feel I needed to heat either to get them to pour.

If PT is too sticky to clean easily, try wiping it off with a cloth or paper towel that has a bit of regular soaping oil on it.

I heat mine like you did. What in particular was a problem for you?

The PT I bought was way, way too solid to scoop out of the can, let alone pour. It took about an hour in hot water to loosen up, then when I tried to stir it to get all the chunks of still-solid tar incorporated, I got a bunch in the water since the can was so full. (That was due to my own clumsiness, but since I'm a pretty constant factor when I make soap, I expect I'll have to deal with me again.)

Dixiedragon, how long does it take you to melt down your tar? Mine was a big can - 32 oz.

Seven and Belinda, are you using the same brand(s) as DeeAnna that it's pourable out of the can?

I think it might be the size of the container? My pine tar has a white label with purple bands and a yellow horseshoe on it. The container I get is around 1 cup. Mine will pour in a thick stream, like cake batter. Are you sure it's 100% pine tar?

Disposable is the way to go with pine tar. Get some nice heavy plastic spoons to scoop it out with and plop it right into the warmed oils.

My pine tar has a white label with purple bands and a yellow horseshoe on it.

Yeah, that's the one. The soap gremlins must be hanging out in my kitchen and giving everyone else a pass with this stuff.

I do hope the soap works for my dad's skin issues, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't mind never having to work with Satan's goo again.

Yeah, that's the one. The soap gremlins must be hanging out in my kitchen and giving everyone else a pass with this stuff.

There is a possibility your can is super old or was frozen somewhere along the way. Having had Pine Tar in my tack room many years back, if it freezes it can separate and become hard.

It should be sticky liquid because it's normally painted on a horse's hooves. If you bought it locally you might consider returning it.

There is a possibility your can is super old or was frozen somewhere along the way. Having had Pine Tar in my tack room many years back, if it freezes it can separate and become hard.

It should be sticky liquid because it's normally painted on a horse's hooves. If you bought it locally you might consider returning it.

Thanks, MzMolly, that's helpful. I didn't realize what normal pine tar acted like.

I have Bickmore and it pours very easily out of the can. Isn't even super thick and very easy to clean up. I pour my PT into my soft oils and stir it up. I add my lye water to my melted hard oils until it's emulsified for certain and then pour that into the soft oils. Hand stir well and pour. Works like a dream.

mine is called Ulrich. it's pretty thick, but pourable. smelly as hell.

Back