Pine Tar, Neem Oil and Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robnbill

Reaction score
I made my first Pine Tar soap last night. I used the same methods that Soaping101 used in the videos. I used a mixture of Pine Tar, Neem Oil. I knew the soap would trace fast and boy it did. Now I am just hoping the Pine Tar and Neem scents mellow and the EO's will become more predominant.

Here is the recipe I used.I used a 6% Superfatting. 6.4 ounces Lye and 13 ounces water. I combined everything around 95 degrees, although the Pine Tar was a bit warmer. Probably nearly 130.

Oil % Oil Ounces Oil
Lard 29.9% 16.1
Coconut Oil 14.1% 7.6
Olive Oil 15.0% 8.1
Cocoa Butter 5.0% 2.7
Shea Butter 5.0% 2.7
Pine Tar 18.0% 9.7
Neem Oil 8.0% 4.3
Castor Oil 5.0% 2.7

Total Oils 100.% 54

I used .5 ounces each of Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Spearmint, Pine, and Anise E.O. The batch made 15, 4.5 ounce bars.

I was able to remove the soap from the mold in 4 hours and cut them. I let them sit out overnight and stamped and beveled them this morning. Other than a few holes where I did not push it down into the mold (did I mention it set up quickly!!) they all came out pretty well. A very dark chocolate brown color.

IMG_0124.jpg

Last edited:
I used .5 ounces each of Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Spearmint, Pine, and Anise E.O. The batch made 15, 4.5 ounce bars.

As a follow on to my results on the Lard, Neem and Pine Tar soap - I tried the first bar out after 30 days. It felt nice, although all you could smell was the pine tar. Now it has been 46 days and when using the soap in the shower I actually can smell the EO's in it. It is still abundantly clear that the soap is made with pine tar when you smell it, however, as mentioned on the Soaping 101 video after while it begins to fade a bit enough that the EO's are actually beginning to come through. I do love the soap. It is very creamy, I use it for shampooing as well as body soap.

Bill

Yep, this is the same as my experience -- it takes a fair while for the pine tar to mellow enough for the EO/FO scent to be detectable. But it's nice when that happens! :)

Wow that you were able to unmold in about 4 hours! Mine was initially really soft, I didn't unmold and cut for a couple of days. I used Cedarwood, 5x Sweet Orange and a titch of Anise. After about 4 months I totally love it. Not selling it yet, I'm hoarding the whole batch for my household :) Yours look perfect!

Hey all .. jumping in on an older thread rather than start a new one. Since you've all made this type of soap before I've got some questions about the pine tar itself.

What kind or brand of pine tar would you recommend?

I'm seeing "liquid" pine tar sold for baseball gloves and then thicker stuff in a can for horses. Is it all the same and just packaged and priced differently?

Does it have a shelf life? (I'm asking because the 1 gallon can is the most cost effective .. but that's going to make around 40 lbs of soap .. yikes!) Well, I could use some in my garden but you get the point of my question.

Anything else I should know about pine tar before I actually buy some?

Hey all .. jumping in on an older thread rather than start a new one. Since you've all made this type of soap before I've got some questions about the pine tar itself.

What kind or brand of pine tar would you recommend?

I'm seeing "liquid" pine tar sold for baseball gloves and then thicker stuff in a can for horses. Is it all the same and just packaged and priced differently?

Does it have a shelf life? (I'm asking because the 1 gallon can is the most cost effective .. but that's going to make around 40 lbs of soap .. yikes!) Well, I could use some in my garden but you get the point of my question.

Anything else I should know about pine tar before I actually buy some?

I was given some amazing advice here - http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=40294

top tip - be quick!

As for the questions, I don't know what exact difference would be without seeing them, but I wouldn't think there is a shelf life to it really. I can't see too much growing in there, that's for sure!

Pine tar does go quick. I made a 10% PT batch and had to spoon glops of it into my mold. I like the smell of the pine tar without any added scent. I would think you need to find a scent that would compliment the pine tar since I don't think that will ever disappear completely.

I was given some amazing advice here - http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=40294

top tip - be quick!

Thanks for the link .. great info there. I'm going to try JudyMoody's 20% recipe. I'm near the horse stores today so will pick up some pine tar in my travels but waiting on the new batch of lye so don't know when I'll get to make this soap.

I'm keen to try it out. I wonder if you can use it on hair? My sister always uses that T-gel stuff for scalp psoriasis/dandruff .. maybe she could use this instead?

I really like pine tar soap. I first made it for my sister's grandkids with skin issues. But I kept some of course to try now it's one of my favorite soap!
As to shampoo their is difference of opinions on using CP soap on head, so you should read up on that. Most say don't, but I don't make shampoo bars. But what do I know! :confused:

And as to shelf life it last a little longer than forever!

Be sure to post pics!

As to shampoo their is difference of opinions on using CP soap on head, so you should read up on that. Most say don't, but I don't make shampoo bars.

Funny you should say this. I was at the farm store today and the owner asked me what I was using the pine tar for. When I said I was going to make soap she just jumped up .. "my mom used to always wash her hair with pine tar soap and I haven't seen any of that for ages".

Sooo .. I guess that's an answer of sorts. At least one person has used it on their hair, LOL!

Based upon the experience of a number of other soapers, including Soaping101's video, I used Bickmore in mine. I could not find it locally in the Washington DC area. I suppose I could have headed west to horse country and found it, but chose to just order it from Amazon. Too easy to have it delivered right to the door. I used almost 10 ounces (18%) in my soap to make 15 bars, and still have quite a bit left over.

I only ordered a quart. I have a feeling this will last me for a number of years. I do use the soap for my hair and showering with it. I like it a lot. Especially now that the Pine Tar scent has lessened somewhat and the EO's finally coming out.

Bill

I do use the soap for my hair and showering with it. I like it a lot. Especially now that the Pine Tar scent has lessened somewhat and the EO's finally coming out.

Bill

I saw your bars in another thread and they were gorgeous! I'm keen to make my own but my new lye order won't be here until next week ... boo hoo.

CP can be used for shampoo, but of course it often depends on the recipe and the hair it's being used on!

As for Pine Tar, it goes all over and is good.

Mine has now mellowed to a smoked-bacon smell, which is far from unpleasant.

I plan on using Farnam brand since its what I used to use on my horses. So I somewhat enjoy the smell already and am hoping it brings back memories. I'm even more especially wanting to use that after the reports of the bickmore having a burnt rubber scent!

I'm using a bar of pine tar right now. Well not right now cause I'm not in the shower but you know what I mean. Any who I love it and yea I took my pine tar can right out of the tack room! And nobody even missed it! It seems like the more you use it the most you like the smell. Or maybe that's just weirdo me! [/url

Back