Pine Tar INCI question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know the correct way to list Pine Tar in soap? My google-fu didn't give me a satisfactory answer.

Google tells me that that INCI for Pine Tar is Palustris (Pine) Wood Tar.

I list all my ingredients by the saponified name (ie Sodium Citrate, not Citric Acid, Sodium Cocoate, not Coconut oil) does Pine Tar have a saponified name?

Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know the correct way to list Pine Tar in soap? My google-fu didn't give me a satisfactory answer.

Google tells me that that INCI for Pine Tar is Palustris (Pine) Wood Tar.

I list all my ingredients by the saponified name (ie Sodium Citrate, not Citric Acid, Sodium Cocoate, not Coconut oil) does Pine Tar have a saponified name?

Thanks in advance!
Your title asks for INCI name, which you have. I don't believe there is a 'saponified' name, as it's not advised to be used by humans (not judging, just stating a fact). I don't believe there's an answer to your second question.

Apologies, I phrased this badly.

I was asking if Pine Tar saponifies into something else and if so if there is a different name I should use for it (as in citric acid versus sodium citrate). I do believe I have my answer though, thanks for your replies.

Stacy, thanks for posting this question, I was wondering if it saponifies, too. I'm not sure that it does, but I have found out you need to plug it into your soap calculator as a percentage of oils because it does need some extra lye. I thought it was just an additive like honey or oatmeal. I'm still trying to figure out why it needs lye if it isn't going to saponify.

Seems like I was browsing the SAP values for various oils and Pine Tar has a very low value. I took that to mean that very little of the PT actually saponifies . Soapcalc notes that it is only listed for SAP and no other values as well.

That's just off the top of my head and I forget stuff so take it with a grain of salt.
Steve

From another thread on here, the SAP value is apparently .0431, I just let it fold into my superfat.

I can't find anything about it saponifying so I'm just going to go with Palustris (Pine) Wood Tar until I find out differently :)

If you haven't made it before I found the following very helpful (particularly the whole stir don't stickblend thing):

The tricks to making PT soap:

Expect the soap batter to trace unusually quickly. Sometimes it doesn't, but you can't assume that with this type of recipe.
Get your mold and work area prepped for immediate action before you start mixing the soap.
Keep your ingredients relatively cool -- room temperature is good, although some people even refrigerate the lye solution. (I don't)
If you use fragrance, choose a non-accelerating product.
Mix your pine tar, fragrance, and any other additives into your oils or water before mixing everything together -- don't try to add ingredients after the batter is started.
Stir ONLY by hand with a spatula or spoon -- avoid using a mixer or stick blender.
The lye solution should be the last thing you add to the other ingredients.

It can't be just Palustrus in the INCI -- that's not a complete name.

It's like using the word "brown." Everyone will wonder "Brown what?" Perhaps you mean brown cow or brown truck or brown ???

It's got to be either Pinus or Pinus Palustris.

The generic name of the type of tree used to make pine tar is Pinus (pine trees). The specific name of the commonly used type of pine tree used to make pine tar is Pinus Palustris (longleaf pine).

Pine species: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine
Longleaf pine: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_palustris

Last edited:
The inci is Pinus Palustris Wood Tar according to CosIng. I would not use it in soap or any cosmetics, as it is know to cause skin cancer and DNA adducts, as the European "SCIENTIFIC COMMITTEE ON COSMETIC PRODUCTS AND NON-FOOD PRODUCTS INTENDED FOR CONSUMERS" has stated:
"General conclusion: Wood tar and wood tar preparations contain genotoxic carcinogens. Wood tar preparations are demonstrated to induce both benign and malignant skin tumours in mice. The data available indicate that wood tar and wood tar preparations may induce tumours by a non-threshold mechanism. Treatment of psoriasis patients with a wood tar preparation has induced DNA adducts in the skin." See CosIng: http://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-databases/cosing/index.cfm?fuseaction=search.details_v2&id=59487
and the SCCS opinion: http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/committees/sccp/documents/out_203.pdf

Does anyone know the correct way to list Pine Tar in soap?
FYI: SoapCalc provides that info .. look on the upper right hand corner of the page -- an INCI button -- next to the "print" button. Click on that and you get:
Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Pinus Palustris (Pine) Wood Tar, Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Kernel Oil

I love this one for lard

100 % Lard, Pig Tallow (Manteca) ~ Adeps Suillus

Back