Pine tar/charcoal soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I made my pine tar soap (a long, long time ago) I researched the usage rate. 10% was the maximum amount allowed by law. Wish I knew where I saw that at, but I don't remember anymore. All I can remember is it was one of those govt pages that list what can and can't be used in soap.

@DeeAnna Right! I found this in my files but didn't note the source. Probably a bunch of different ones on the Southern Soapers Yahoo Group.

PINE TAR SOAP TIPS & TECHNIQUE

BUY PINE TAR online or locally wherever they sell veterinary care products for horses and other farm animals.

CAUTION: Pine tar is flammable and good ventilation should be used when making pine tar soap to avoid respiratory irritation.

Treat Pine Tar as an additive as it has only a negligible SAP Value. Soapcalc.com lists Pine Tar but it does not factor into the final calculation.
FYI: NaOH SAP Value: .043 - .0603.

LYE SOLUTION: Mix and refrigerate lye solution overnight.
Use full water and/or aloe vera juice.
7% NaOH.

OILS: Mix the night before soaping.
80% Your favorite basic soap formula.
20% Pine Tar
Warm can of pine tar on a hot plate. Melt oils. Add warmed pine tar, fragrance, and ROE (optional). SB to mix well. Let set overnight at room temp. Get mold ready. Soap the next morning.

Soaping cool like this will slow down the seizing associated with Pine Tar. Work quickly. Stir with a spoon to combine the oils & lye solution, then stick blend on lowest speed or short bursts to blend thoroughly. If it seizes, wait about 2 minutes or so and try stirring again. Just be sure your batch is well mixed, then quickly turn it into the prepared mold and smooth the top.

Cure: 3 - 5 weeks. Makes a very hard bar, long-lasting, dark brown; creamy white lather; very soothing. Natural scent is harsh but mellows as it cures. (If you sub goat's milk, be prepared to banish the soap to an unused room while it cures. The scent of milk and pine tar curing together can bring tears to your eyes!).

EO BLENDS FOR PINE TAR SOAP
1 Juniper : 2 Cedarwood
1 Russian Fir : 2 Lavender or Lavadin
1:1:1 Lavender, Tea Tree, Oakmoss
4 Lavandin, 2 Peru Balsam, 1 Russian Fir, 1 Sweet Birch (optional, historically sweet birch is helpful to problem skin, but must be used with extreme caution.)

Latest posts

Back