Pine Tar - Calculating Lye Solution in Soapmaker 3.0

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonda

Reaction score
Hi, I haven't been using the Soapmaker app for very long and have decided to try my hand had making Pine Tar soap. I can see on SoapCalc that Pine Tar is listed, so that it will account for it when calculating the lye solution, but how do I do that in Soapmaker? I'm stuck on how to create the recipe if Pine Tar is not an "oil" and if I list is as an "Additive" it isn't accounted for in the LS calcs. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I don't use the Soapmaker app, but I understand it can be modified and customized a fair bit. Can't you add fats to this app if they're not already built in? If so, add pine tar as a new fat and set its saponification value to 0.043 for NaOH and 0.060 for KOH.

If not, a work-around would be to hand-calculate the lye requirement for the pine tar and add that to the NaOH weight calculated by Soapmaker for the rest of your fats.

NaOH for PT = (Weight of pine tar) X 0.043

KOH for PT = (Weight of pine tar) X 0.060

If you use ounces for the weight of pine tar, the answer is in ounces. If you use grams, the answer is in grams.

Latest posts

Back