Pine sap soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaolin washer

Reaction score
I made some pine sap soap. Using sap from a Scott pine tree, I did an oil infusion with Olive oil and melted about 50% of the sap the rest was hard and would only disolve with rubbing alcohol, i did not not include that in the soap so the olive oil had a nice pine scent to it . i used 60 % olive oil 30% coconut oil, 10% canola oil , and i used 2% L-10 bentonite and non swelling bentonite that is clean . the batch traced very fast but i got it in the mold and the next day got it cut into pieces. and it has a very nice pine scent . lets hop it lasts but its smelling really piney for sure. It lathers nice almost like shaving cream. one thing i found out about dissolving. pine sap is olive oil will get most of it but you will have about 40% that is hard and gummy that only alcohol will get to dissolve

Attachments

• 20210727_174207.jpg
    20210727_174207.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210727_174225.jpg
    20210727_174225.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 11
That's so cool- how much pine sap did you need to collect? Like what ratio of sap to oo? We were camping this weekend and my daughter wanted to collect some but I had no way to research anything.

I collected about 1 pint, and in a 600 gram batch i put in only 3% or 18 grams. and some did not go into the olive oil infusion. i took about 2 cups of olive oil and put the 18 grams of sap in and dissolved it with some heat . max maybe 140 degrees .i then strained out the leftover crap and used that oil for the recipe.

I collected about 1 pint, and in a 600 gram batch i put in only 3% or 18 grams. and some did not go into the olive oil infusion. i took about 2 cups of olive oil and put the 18 grams of sap in and dissolved it with some heat . max maybe 140 degrees .i then strained out the leftover crap and used that oil for the recipe.
Thank you!

this is the exact formula i used for a 2lb mold. Olive oil from costco 342 grams ,coconut oil 171 grams, Canola oil 57 grams 12 grams of L-10 bentonite . now my lye amount came to 86.5 grams but i discounted it 4% so i measured out 83 grams of sodium lye, i measured out 121 grams water for the lye, and 51.9 for the bentonite separatelyand mixed the 51.9 with the bentonite in a small bowl. and the 121 grams of water to the 83 grams of lye . then added it to the oils and mixed untill light trace and then added the bentonite with its water wich was wet already and stirred and mixed untill trace and poured it in the mold . now even after 4 days i get a pine smell but not as strong as the 1st two days. I did the pine sap infusion with the olive oil so like i say olive oil will dissolve most of the pine sap but not all so i pored off the olive oil and threw out the rest and used the olive oil for the recipe , so it took up alot of somthing from that sap . and at only 3% of the formula it gave trace faster . I mixed also a pine tar today with the same amount of pine tar and trace was not as fast but it still was faster than normal batches i have been doing . the lather is great to . really gets the dirt off you

Latest posts

Back