Pine EO in CP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joy.

Reaction score
Does anyone know if pine essential oil sticks around in cold process soap? Also wondering if it has a Christmas tree type scent, or if it's more woodsy/forest-y?

It does, but be careful - some pine morphs into a cleaning product smell instead of a walk through a pine forest

I was recently looking for a Christmas tree-scented EO, and passed over the pines due to reviews much like what others say on this thread (too cleaning-product-y). I ended up buying New Direction's Siberian Fir Needle and love it. Smells just like a fir forest, in my opinion, and will be very suitable for Christmas.

As for scent longevity, the jury is still out. I've only soaped with it 3 times: once with an EO blend that includes Anise Star, which is overpowering everything else, once with an EO blend that includes Spearmint, which is overpowering everything else, and once with a blend that includes Bulgarian Lavender and a little Patchouli. The last batch is the most promising with the fir needle scent, but... it's only 10 days old and anyone's guess what it will be like in 5 weeks or months.

I'm actually looking for something non-Christmas-tree and more woodsy. I'm working on a manly blend. I'm using cedarwood atlas, cedarwood texas, benzoin, frankincense, and a drop of cade. But it just needs another woodsy thing to boost the cedar or something. I can't stand the smell of lavender or patchouli so those are out. Some spearmint might actually be nice in there...

I asked my husband to smell the Fir EO, and his response was that it smells like "musky pine." I'm not sure what that means. He says it does not remind him of Christmas trees, but it does to me a little.

As for spearmint, I bet that would be a nice touch. Although personally, spearmint frustrates me because I haven't mastered how to use it yet. It seems to be a scent bully and the soap blends I've made that include it all scream HELLO, I'M SPEARMINT. One day, spearmint, one day I'll figure you out...

How about adding black pepper EO to what you already have? - It adds a nice spicy tone and I have found it to stick. It is not a cheap EO by any means but a little goes a long way.

How about adding black pepper EO to what you already have? - It adds a nice spicy tone and I have found it to stick. It is not a cheap EO by any means but a little goes a long way.
Great idea. I've been eyeing black pepper, but I wasn't sure how it would hold up.

I really like the suggestions of adding something spicy like black pepper, cinnamon or clove . . .
Ditto! I think that's the plan.

Latest posts

Back