Pillar candle help! Air pockets

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nalexandra92

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a total newbie and need a bit of help! I can't figure out or find out how to stop these big air pockets happening on taper candles! I'm using kerawax 4600 pillar paraffin wax. Would a different type of wax be better? is there a pour technique I need to know about? Thanks in advance xx

Attachments

• IMG_8696.jpg
    IMG_8696.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8697.jpg
    IMG_8697.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8698.jpg
    IMG_8698.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 11
Ok. what is the diameter of those candles? You say taper, but they are a poured taper? How long are they?

All waxes shrink when cooling. Some just more than others. Paraffin will pull in at the sides a lot more if there are other objects too close (uneven cooling).

Make sure your mold is warm when pouring. Even if it is plastic or silicone put it on low in the oven or try to heat with a heat gun. You don't want to shock the wax. Then after pouring, pound the molds to release as much air as possible. Then as the candles are setting up you will "poke and repour". Use a metal or wood skewer to poke relief holes along the wick and pour hot wax in the holes. You will see a lot of air bubbles come out. You may need to do this a couple of times.

Hope this helps some.
Lyschel

Back