Pili Carrier Oil & Elemi Essential Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
First question: Has anyone heard of these?

Second question: Has anyone used these.. And what do you think about your end product?

Third question: How do I go about requesting for it to be added to soapmaking friend calc?

The oils are native to my country and while I've known about it for some time, it just recently occurred to me to soap with it. Reason is, we eat the nuts and those are easy enough to find but the oils were almost unheard of before. I recently found a supplier so I thought I wanted to try it.

Theres two kinds of carrier oil, from the pulp and from the nut/kernel.

The pulp oil costs about as much per liter as Avocado oil, (its also similar in looks and consistency) which makes it manageable but still on the luxury side.

One liter of the kernel oil costs more or less equal to 5 liters of Olive oil, which is what it is being compared to, so if I ever get around to it (and if I can fit it in the budget in the future lol) it will only be used in balms and maybe creams, lotions, face serums, etc.

Elemi on the other hand, is a resin from the tree. It's actually termed poor man's frankincense and has similar properties.

I found very few sources online. This is a major problem here - lack of research - hence many things are under utilized. I need help regarding what info is needed so I can go hunt for it, so I can ask if the carrier oil/s can be added in the soap calc, so I can actually soap with it lol

Thanks for any feedback :)

Links:
- https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352618115000621
- http://www.naturalewonders.com/pili...e-seeds-supplier-manila-bicol-philippines.php
- http://www.naturalewonders.com/elemi-oil-essential-pili-nut-supplier-manila-bicol-philippines.php
- https://piliani.com/the-pili-tree-oils/

In your first & second link, the saponification number is given for one of the oils, however it gives only one, as opposed to two. Usually there are two, the SAP value for KOH and the SAP value for NaOH. If you can contact the manufacturers or vendors, it would be beneficial to ask for those numbers. Without the SAP values and fatty acid profiles, they can't really be added to any lye calculator.

I am given to believe that if it has a SAP value, you can soap with it.

Thanks @earlene. So for any oil to be added we need values for both NaOH and KOH, plus fatty acid profile?

Yes, I did notice that the sap value given was only one. I can't actually find for NaOH anywhere online so far.
The saponification value, which is the number of milligrams of potassium hydroxide required to saponify one gram of oil, is higher for pili nut (193 mg/g) than for pili pulp (178 mg/g).
_20181126_145846.JPG
Yes, I probably will have to call the supplier and ask, but in case they have no idea.......

Is there a way to manually compute for solid soap, using the value for liquid soap, if an oil like this isn't listed in any calcs? Or is that not done at all?

And, is it safe to replace it in the calc with another oil that has a very similar KOH SAP value, and using that oils NaOH value? I'm still talking about solid soap..

I started researching looking for a local alternative to olive oil.. An all natural, all local ingredients soap appeals to me, and might appeal to more in the long run because eventually, I feel it'll be a good business. If not soaps, coz no way I can sell at this point, but at least raw materials for other more experienced soapers here.

Ok, so I searched the forums and found a thread from sometime back where @DeeAnna says, to divide KOH SAP value by 1.403 to get the value for NaOH.

So I got this..

Pulp
KOH SAP (mg/g oil) = 178
NaOH SAP (mg/g oil) = 126.87
Iodine (I2) (g I2/100 g oil) = 74.57
Unsaponifiable matter (%) = 1.69

Lauric = No info
Myristic = 0.14
Palmitic = 23.96
Stearic = 2.64
Ricinoleic = No info
Oleic = 60.93
Linoleic = 6.63
Linolenic = 0.84

Nut
KOH SAP (mg/g oil) = 193
NaOH SAP (mg/g oil) = 137.56
Iodine (I2) (g I2/100 g oil) = 56.20
Unsaponifiable matter (%) = 0.55

Lauric = No info
Myristic = 0.10
Palmitic = 34.64
Stearic = 9.99
Ricinoleic = No info
Oleic = 44.13
Linoleic = 10.33
Linolenic = 0.59

I hope I did that right.. Is there anything else I need to properly compute using this oil?

Now I'll go search if there's another oil in the calc I can use as a replacement..

It's safe to say ricinoleic would be zero for both. The only fat that has ricinoleic acid is castor oil.

Looks good, @Dawni!

Will it also be safe to assume there is no Lauric in both as well?

I don't have any data on either oil, but of the ones I do have info on, the oils that have a really low myristic acid content (under 1%) also have a very low lauric acid content. So, yes, I'd say it's safe to make that assumption.

Latest posts

Back