Pigments from tkb trading.....?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lioness

Reaction score
Just wanted some input on some of the pigments people are liking to use from tkb trading. I have recently purchased the pop micas from them but I would also like to find some true flat pigments that are non-bleeding for some of my projects. I would not use them for my cold process as they probably will change in them but for my m+p projects. I was going to try some of the non-cosmetic grade that are non-bleeding but is it still safe for the skin? I like their Tomato red and Vine Ripe Red. Anyways they say that they are safe for soap just not for cosmetics. Let me know what you guys think. thanks

I have some of their pigments that I use and love them. I have some of the glycerin-dispersed liquids, as well as an array of oxides, micas, and pigments in powdered form.

I have had great results with them and always find creative ways to use them.

pop mica

I have used the pop micas very successfully in cp soap. The orange is wonderful! The only one that TKB says morphs is the strawberry. I have the liquid pop micas, and I think I will order the powders for more economical use in cp. Love them!

I have used the pop micas a few times already and love them but I am looking for pigment that is flat. Has anyone used the pigments that are not for cosmetic use in their soap. She states they are safe for soap but aren't they still going on the skin? I love all the colors and want them all but I don't want to use something that is't safe.
Please let me know if anyone has used them or if we should just stay away because they are non-cosmetic. thanks

I really like them. If the post office wouldn't have lost my package, I'd have had in two days. I've only tried a couple of their micas so far. I made up a batch of blackberry peppermint cp soap with their amethyst mica the other day. I was so excited, such a pretty deep purple. Then it turned baby poop brown with green and yellow around the edges of my swirls. Hehe. So if you want purple... try something else. :) I have heard very good things about their pop micas though.

RockinRodeoChick said:
I really like them. If the post office wouldn't have lost my package, I'd have had in two days. I've only tried a couple of their micas so far. I made up a batch of blackberry peppermint cp soap with their amethyst mica the other day. I was so excited, such a pretty deep purple. Then it turned baby poop brown with green and yellow around the edges of my swirls. Hehe. So if you want purple... try something else. :) I have heard very good things about their pop micas though.

OMG the same thing happened to me with this amethyst mica. I had nice purple swirls at night and in the morning it looked gross brown. Not nice brown, uggly brown. I had to toss that batch.

dubnica said:
RockinRodeoChick said:

OMG the same thing happened to me with this amethyst mica. I had nice purple swirls at night and in the morning it looked gross brown. Not nice brown, uggly brown. I had to toss that batch.

Ya know, I went ahead and decided to let it sit out and cure, just to see what would happen to it, and now it's mellowing to a very dark green. I think I actually like it now. :) It's not exactly what I had envisioned for this scent combination, but it's turning out quite nicely. Ok, I will end the highjacking of the thread for the moment. Heh.

Their Grape Pop Mica gives a nice pretty purple color that doesn't morph.

lioness said:
I have used the pop micas a few times already and love them but I am looking for pigment that is flat. Has anyone used the pigments that are not for cosmetic use in their soap. She states they are safe for soap but aren't they still going on the skin? I love all the colors and want them all but I don't want to use something that is't safe.
Please let me know if anyone has used them or if we should just stay away because they are non-cosmetic. thanks
Cosmetic grade and skin-safe aren't necessarily the same thing. As long as it's skin-safe, it's fine. Some micas, for instance, are both, but not recommended in soap because of morphing, etc.

Non-cosmetic colorants

For those soaping in Canada, you must be careful to consider that soap is a cosmetic in Canada. Some soap suppliers are selling the neon pigments, which are non-cosmetic colorants, and saying that they are safe for soap. This is illegal in Canada. I'm not saying I agree, but I am not going to get caught breaking the law either. I LOVE the Pop Micas and have an order ready to go for the powdered variety and the black, white, gold, and silver. TKB has a FABULOUS recipe guide for mixing different colors, and since these are soap stable, the sky is the limit.

Non-cosmetic colorants

For those soaping in Canada, you must be careful to consider that soap is a cosmetic in Canada. Some soap suppliers are selling the neon pigments, which are non-cosmetic colorants, and saying that they are safe for soap. This is illegal in Canada. I'm not saying I agree, but I am not going to get caught breaking the law either. I LOVE the Pop Micas and have an order ready to go for the powdered variety and the black, white, gold, and silver. TKB has a FABULOUS recipe guide for mixing different colors, and since these are soap stable, the sky is the limit.

I have soaped with mica's that were not Pop Mica's and the mauve gave me a nice pinkish color for my Rose scented soap. It was a shimmery color in the bottle (it was eyeshadow so it was cosmetic grade) but of course, it was a flat color in the soap. I have seen some video's on youtube where the soaper was using all different colors of mica's and her soap was wonderful. I think she had a 15 swirl soap. It looked like they all stayed true to form in color.

Latest posts

Back