Piglets (100% lard, DIY M&P)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResolvableOwl

Notorious Lyear
Reaction score
Didn't know where to post this – it's CP soap, but also M&P – so it landed here, because PICS.

Some time ago we had a party at work where we BBQed a sow. I rescued some of the lard, and “conserved” it by making (rather unsightly) lumps of soap of it (I tried my best, back then). Just lard, NaOH and water – “single origin”, if you want so. Now with that home-office outbreak, me and my colleagues are all gone, and they were a bit skeptical about my first attempt anyway. So I decided to give them another chance, and rebatch it – in a special way:
I mixed six parts of grated soap with 3 parts proplyene glycol, and each 1 part of water, glycerol, xylitol and isomalt (a pretty average M&P recipe, just that the soap is pre-made instead of created during a HP cooking). Let it stand overnight, melt up in water bath. The finished, solidified soap is nearly crystal clear, and its hardness is somewhere between dried out jelly candy and hot-melt glue.

Stars of the party are, however, these mini piglet silicone moulds. All 15 piglets weigh 100 g, so each is about 7 g; that's indeed very little for a soap; but alas, those are chocolate moulds after all… and they're sooo cute! 🥰

The original soap had slight tanning (beginning DOS?) but still smelled fairly neutral. Yet, the lard somehow intensified in its natural smell during M&Pification, and that isn't the most pleasant one for soap, tbh… I'm also amazed that the melt turned dark reddish-brown. Lil' boar piglets?

Attachments

• m+p_piglets.jpg
    m+p_piglets.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 16
Very cute! I have a jelly soap M&P base that the grandkids love for making jelly soap. The texture of yours sound similar to that. Maybe you can remelt with some fragrance to cover the piggy smell?

Latest posts

Back