PIF help? (UK)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speckledfawn

Reaction score
Hi, I have my first craft stall selling my soaps in just under a week. I have completed most of my PIFs for my products but I want to make doubly sure I have everything in there that I need so I'll have it with me on the day just incase it's needed.

What is all the information you are REQUIRED to have in there?

I had a sample PIF sent to me by my assessor and it's incredibly complicated. It basically covers everything, quite a bit of which I know isn't relevant to me. But of course I don't want to take anything out that should stay in there. My main issues are that there's an empty table for this information:

INCI Name
Description
INN Name
Ph. Eur. Name
CAS #
EINECS/ELINCS #

My main issues are INN name, Ph. Eur. Name and EINECS/ELINCS #. I don't think a lot of ingredients I use have these? And how/where do I find out if they do? Is a description really necessary in the PIF if I have the MSDS attached later on in the file?

Is this information essential?

Also another question I have is: do I HAVE to have my soap pieces weighed? I have heard that if you sell it by the piece you don't necessarily have to, can anyone give me any clarification on this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Speckled Fawn the PIF sent to you by your assessor is the information you are required to have. Have you chatted with trading standards yet?

the PIF sent to me by my assessor was a general example that included info for different types of product as well as cold process soap, and info that i had in seperate files like MSDSs and such, i was just having trouble weeding out the bits i didn't need and didn't want to accidentally take out anything i needed but didn't know about.

i have spoken to trading standards yes, but the man i spoke to didn't really know much and in fact just sent me a couple of long and complex things to read that i can't find all the answers to my questions in!

Hi, Had no idea what those terms meant as I'm not certified. I wanted to know the answer though so I googled and found this.http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cosmetics/cosing/. Thought it might be useful to you as you type in the common name like sodium hydroxide or olive oil and it tells you the CAS# and EINECS/ELINCS #. Also found this http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/busi...cts_safety/cosmetic_labelling_conditions.aspx which tells us what INN Name and Ph. Eur. Names are. Could be wrong but this site says that they are only required if there is no INCI. I looked up European Pharmacopoeia name and International Non-proprietary Name (INN) they seem to refer to medicinal type ingredients but you can google a bit more on that. Must be a minefield to start out but once you've got it done for each product that should be it, unless you change ingredients or formula. Hope I helped a bit and I've learned something as well! All the best of luck - Rachel x

PIF = Product Information Form.

You do need the description in there even though you have your MSDS attached. I am sending you a PM that might help...

I have no personal interest in selling, was just trying to help the OP. Lindy-did you mean to pm me or was it meant for speckledfawn? Thanks anyway - Rachel x.

Latest posts

Back