Pictures from vacation in Croatia

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Last week I visited Croatia! It was my first time across the Atlantic! Travel time was 24 hours there and 37 hours back (loooong layover in Madrid!). I had a great time. Everyone is so nice there and I'm surprised that they all spoke English! I learned to say thank you and peanut butter in Croatian though!

I thought some of you light like to see some of the pictures I took. I stayed in the Old City (Dubrovnik). A bunch of my family members met up there to vacation together. It's pretty amazing how it came to be coordinated considering we were coming from Miami, the panhandle, the US Virgin Islands and London. My mom's, cousin's, long time boyfriend (10 years!) grew up in the Old City (Dubrovnik). That's how we ended up going to Croatia in the first place. My mom's cousin was planning on vacationing there with her boyfriend and the rest of us planned to meet up. Since the boyfriend grew up there, we had the inside tour and I learned a lot about local plants!

Lavender, chamomile, rosemary, and sage all grow wild on the mountains. Along with many other edible plants! I saw asparagus, olives, and figs! I kept looking at plants I wanted to soap with.

I met a soaper at the local market and bought her soap! She was so kind. I think she was a little worried at first when I told her I made soap too and I was asking her about curing, ect. The photo of the soap is the one I bought. She hand stamps them all and they smelled divine!

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1469139984.614494.jpg

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1469139555.697670.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1469139617.423290.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1469139653.134434.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1469139698.477938.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1469139731.376504.jpgImageUploadedBySoap Making1469139784.885867.jpg

So happy for you. A friend of mine (a fishing boat captain) told me after his sail around the world that his favorite stop was Croatia, with its mountain islands and sea. That really impressed me, since I knew he loved his life in Alaska as much as I loved mine. Thanks for bringing the "recommendation" back to me; I must not lose sight of it when my own revolution comes to bear.

Is that you in pic 5 or 7?? And what is the story with the dinner plaza? It all is beautiful and looks like so much fun.

Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing!

I bet you had a good time, I was born and grew up there. ;)
Actually near Plitvice National Park. Did you end up going there? I know it's a bit of a drive from Dubrovnik.

When I go back for a holiday, I usually go to island of Brac. It's amazing but also quiet, with not so many tourists haha.

Beautiful pictures. Croatia has long been on my hope-to-go-to list. Your beautiful pictures just reinforced that. My son and daughter in law traveled there this summer, and really loved it too.

Wow, gorgeous photos. It's definitely on my list of places to visit now! It looks like you had a wonderful time?

Those photos are beautiful. I was thinking it looks like the Mediterranean; I had to look at a map to see where Croatia is. I wasn't too far off (relatively speaking). That region has amazing blues.

Part Croatian here...I remember when my grandfather who I was named after came back with sheep cheese that my mom hung outside because of the smell. I was a teenager at the time but I still remember how delicious it was. Of course we also always had a bottle of cherry liquor from Binj in the house....medicinal, of course.I hear all those islands are the gems of the Adriatic.....

Wonderful pics - a family vacation and memories for a lifetime - Thanks for sharing with your soapy family

When I go back for a holiday, I usually go to island of Brac. It's amazing but also quiet, with not so many tourists haha.

Your island is almost as big as my island. ;)

Part Croatian here...I remember when my grandfather who I was named after came back with sheep cheese that my mom hung outside because of the smell. I was a teenager at the time but I still remember how delicious it was. Of course we also always had a bottle of cherry liquor from Binj in the house....medicinal, of course.I hear all those islands are the gems of the Adriatic.....

If that is the same style of hard sheep cheese that people used to make at home where my family is from, I'm very familiar with it. A few years ago I set out to find which cheese on the general market is most similar to it. I thought for sure that I would find some rustic Italian cheese that would be similar, but no luck. However, I discovered that Spanish Roncal is the same thing. If you can get some, see if it matches your teenage experience.

Latest posts

Back