Picture of my Lard Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeepItSimpleSoap

Reaction score
Here is a picture of my first 3 batches of Lard Soap. It looks so plain compared to all of Y'all's pretty/fancy soaps.
IMG_20191221_165836.jpg

PawPaw

Here is a picture of my first 3 batches of Lard Soap. It looks so plain compared to all of Y'all's pretty/fancy soaps.PawPaw

Please don't do that. Please don't think less of your accomplishment because it doesn't have 17 different colors or you didn't blend the scent yourself or it doesn't have embeds or frosting or doesn't look like it's something to be put on a pedestal in an art gallery. And I'm not tossing shade at those who do because those kinds of soaps are also accomplishments.

I got into soap making because I wanted to make Goat Milk Soap...specifically Black Raspberry Vanilla Goat Milk Soap. When friends found out that I was getting into soap making, they wanted to know if I was going to be making 'regular' soap...nothing fancy, just a good, quality, plain soap that they could bathe every day with. And so I did. And if the Craft Fair I did the beginning of November was any indicator, there are a lot of folks who wanted the same.

Thing is...I'm quite happy not making really 'fancy' soaps and I'm good at the soap that I make. And that's all that is really important you know...to love what you do and be good at what you do do.

Thanks for all of the positive comments. By the time I made my fourth batch I learned how to recognize slight trace better and was able to get the batter in the molds sooner & quicker making them look a little smoother.
1-02-20 soap test update: I put a bar in each bathroom and one beside the kitchen sink. It takes a few times to break old habits. I have been using liquid soap for handwashing for a while now and have to tell myself to use the bar soap. I have already noticed in the kitchen that the Ultra AJAX Super Degreaser liquid dish soap is going to last longer because I am not using it all of the time just to wash my hands.
Side note: Making one 25.25 ounce oil weight batch a week is way more soap than we use a week!

Last edited:
(Any animal advocates skip this one.) I started my passion with that great white soap. Only mine was from an old humongous heifer ,Helen, the neighbor slaughtered. Must’ve been 150 lbs. I only had 3 - 5 gal. buckets. Took me 3 days to render her beautiful fat to hard white tallow. Started my soap passion with a good white cleaning bar; lots o bars!!

(Any animal advocates skip this one.) I started my passion with that great white soap. Only mine was from an old humongous heifer ,Helen, the neighbor slaughtered. Must’ve been 150 lbs. I only had 3 - 5 gal. buckets. Took me 3 days to render her beautiful fat to hard white tallow. Started my soap passion with a good white cleaning bar; lots o bars!!

I grew up on a farm...in addition to dairy cows, we had chickens, turkeys, pigs and rabbits. We ate the chickens, ducks, turkeys, pigs and rabbits...and on occasion...a cow. No soap making back then, but nothing went to waste in our area...feathers, fat, skins, etc...someone could use something. My father also hunted and fished. We had gardens. A lot of bartering back then. Being poor, we firmly believed in 'waste not, want not'. And the lack of hard cash aside, we never went hungry.

Latest posts

Back