Pickle Strainer Swirl?!?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw something similar with acrylic paint and a small plastic colander. I have it flagged in my 'stuff to try for a soap challenge' pinterest board.

While I don't think you would need necessarily a pickle strainer, maybe a cheap plastic hand held strawberry slicer or juice strainer would work? Or something like this
upload_2019-3-15_15-28-55.png

I see them quite often at thrift stores. Although the one I have pictured isn't quite as handy for shap, it has some of the idea I'm thinking of.

I have never seen pickles come with a strainer in the jar...

But they should, right?

I like Clarice's find too.

on second thought, maybe a handheld juicer wouldn't work. They actually look different than I remember
upload_2019-3-15_16-11-58.png

Or maybe my mom had a different style that I couldn't find on Google. I very clearly remember it being more basket like. Now I'm wondering if I had it confused with this type of potato ricer thingy.
upload_2019-3-15_16-13-55.png

Getting old sucks - your memories start to get a bit distorted!

If you find something that works, please let me know! I've wanted to play around with this idea for quite a while.

I would think they would be pretty even with out doing the outside part and do it in a 3" pipe. she is pretty quirky--I need to check out her videos

I just happen to have a jar of gherkins in my fridge that has a strainer. It's pretty small, though, perhaps 2" across. My husband bought these at Christmas; now that Trinity's visiting, maybe they'll get eaten. She LOVES pickles!

20190315_142142_HDR.jpg 20190315_142149_HDR.jpg

I just happen to have a jar of gherkins in my fridge that has a strainer. It's pretty small, though, perhaps 2" across. My husband bought these at Christmas; now that Trinity's visiting, maybe they'll get eaten. She LOVES pickles!

View attachment 37532 View attachment 37533
That looks like the one! Must be a Canadian thing? Next time I'm in Michigan I'll have to see if they have migrated south at all.

That looks like the one! Must be a Canadian thing? Next time I'm in Michigan I'll have to see if they have migrated south at all.
I don't know... I've never seen them in any other pickle jars. These particular pickles are imported from France. Maybe you could find similar pickles in a store like Trader Joe's? (I've never been in one so couldn't say for sure.)

I like to watch Marie Nadeau make soap on the YouTubes. Today, she shared a video in which she used a "pickle strainer" to swirl the batter in a PVC mold. What I want to know: where do you get such a thing?

She's a riot!!! Loved the end, lol.

I remember those strainers, growing up. As I recall, some condiment jars came with them inside. Got less common and then either disappeared or are in products I don't purchase.

I wonder if the strainer on a French Press might do something similar ?
Or take a similar stem and fit a plastic disk to it in which cutouts were made?

Love how the cuts looked like trees, flowers, and citrus segments! !

This did remind me of my last Dollar Tree trip where I was looking at most things as potential swirl tools. The only thing I've found so far were Crazy Straws that I used for my recent HP swirl.

Oh well, crap, I should have read the thread first!!

ETA: I love the music at 19:49 in the sink strainer video but I never would have put these 2 ladies together with it. Goes to show you never can tell. :D

Last edited:
Back