Pickle Buckets

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapmage

Reaction score
So I went and got a nice 5 lb. pickle bucket from Firehouse Subs since they're only $2 and the money goes to local fire depts. The only problem is, is that it hits you in the face with the pickle smell and I've scrubbed with dish soap, white vinegar, bleach, etc... and NOTHING is making a dent! I just read a blog on this very subject trying to research getting rid of the odor and one blogger suggested using unused coffee in the bucket and leaving it for several days to several weeks and it worked for her whereas other things did not.

I just filled it with a huge container of Folgers that was left here since I don't drink that brand and set outside in the sun. I'll leave it and see what happens. I just couldn't pass by a great deal on such a huge bucket to put my melted RSPO palm oil into since I can't handle the huge 50 lb bucket it originally came in from SC. I needed something I could fit in my sink for melting and the 5 lb bucket fits perfectly, although it's actually just a bit shorter than the original bucket lol. So obviously I won't be able to fill it all the way full if I'm going to be able to lift the darn thing into my sink. I just hope I can get that smell out, otherwise I can't use it sine I don't want pickle scented palm oil lol!

OMG, I got one of those buckets and it STUNK. And I love pickles but I couldnt eat them for a week after cleaning it b/c it smelled nasty to me in the bucket.

I was going to use it to hold my homemade laundry detergent. I washed it, scrubbed it, set it in the sun, ect (didnt try coffee grinds though) and it never got any better. In fact, it kinda got worse. :cry:

I hope the coffee works for you!

ETA: I ended up getting a new bucket from walmart for $5, $3 just wasnt worth the wasted water, time and frustration to me.

Yeah, I was trying to do good but future buckets will come from Lowes or something lol! I totally agree it's not worth the time and effort, water, etc... to deal with it!

Time......and more time :). Fill it with water a few times (use the water on plants, won't hurt them) and let it soak a few days each time. Then just let em sit...the smell eventually does come out of the plastic but it can take a while!

I'll find a use for it somehow since it's a food grade bucket. I checked it yesterday and added some fresh coffee grounds to it, but it's still potent lol.

Latest posts

Back