Picking a Font

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of the below fonts do you like best?

Votes: 2 8.7%

Votes: 3 13.0%

Votes: 1 4.3%

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters
Thank you to everyone who has voted and the comments...they are very helpful and I have fixed the spacing typo.

To answer some questions:

Without knowing about the rest of your branding aesthetic though, it's hard to choose what would be most appropriate in isolation.

As the name implies...mid-century modern (circa 1945 to 1969): clean lines, function over form, minimal ornamentation.

I spent several months researching soap making…articles, history, recipes, how-to…hundreds of hours of YT videos. Lots of colors, lots of designs, lots of scents, lots of techniques, embeds, frosting, soap dough…absolute works of art. But that’s not me…I like things simple, organized, neat. So when I decided to turn a hobby into a business I looked into soap advertising and ran across a vintage ad for Lux Soap and I was struck by the simplicity of those five bars of soap…just white, green, blue, pink and yellow. And Mid-Century Soaps was born…simple soaps for simple times. I’ve since changed that tagline…soaps for every body. I want folks to use my soap, not put it on a shelf or in a drawer or bring out for special occasions because “it’s too pretty to use”. I want it to be their ‘go-to’ soap, their ‘stock’ soap that every body in the house can use. When folks think of ‘Mercia…it’s Mom, Apple Pie, Chevrolet and Mid-Century Soaps. LOL

BUT, it is perfectly fine to use a different font for your business name than for the rest of your labels, so if you prefer a fancier font for the business, that's fine, IMO, as long as the details about the soap is easy to read.

I agree. The only two things that will use this font are the company name and the type of the product…Artisan Soap, Lotion Bar, Bath Salts, etc. The name of the product…Chocolate Espresso, Lemon Sherbet, Honeysuckle, etc will be a standard italicized font. Everything else on the label will be standard font

What soap boxes are you using? What does the rest of the label look like in terms of elements? What's your "brand" mood board look like? If you want something cohesive, just showing a font isn't really going to resolve the whole packaging designing. Mid-century / Mid-century modern is soooo my style aethestic so I have a certain idea of what I would imagine that would look like but is it the same interpretation as yours?

Right now I am using a standard large white soap box with a leaf cut-out, but need to find a different supplier. Below is my original label and I absolutely love it, but unfortunately the company doesn’t carry the label sizes I need…too big, too small. The space between the company name and the product type is where the name of the soap will go. I have found the size labels I want in sheets and in a paler pink. I have also found a similar starburst graphic, but it’s a solid color and I really like the dimension of the gold with a bit of white in the center. I have looked at other MCM style graphics and I have purchased a few for some other ideas, but I want real clean lines for my label.

MCS Soap Label.png

I've been a graphic designer for 18 years and lovvvveeee packaging design.

May I contact you privately?

Wow, am I the only one that likes #1? I do not care for #2. I don't like it when I recognize fonts on packaging. That font is prominent in Microsoft word, and it does not look professional to me. My second choice would be #3. I think #4 looks like is says Foaps, and the last two are a little predictable to me. Just my two cents.

I voted for number one myself. The fonts aren’t standard MS fonts…if I could have used a MS font I would have since I have a gazillion of them. Yeah, it would be all sunshine and roses if I had the bucks to hire someone to create my very own special font so I can be more professional, less predictable and likable, but unfortunately, I don’t have the money and have to make the best that I can with the tools that I have available to me.

Last edited:
I use Avery.ca but I am in Canada. They have great templates and fonts. I use a clear sticker for the front so you can see my design through it and a white label for the back (following Health Canada guidelines which are strict af). I guess I'm too cheap to have someone else print them for me. LOL

Personally I like either #5 or #6.

#6. My kids are in their early 20s and say they and many of their peers cannot read cursive handwriting. I was gobsmacked by this, still am.
I used to teach adult literacy and sadly this is true. Also people on the autistic spectrum have difficulty reading these kinds of fonts.

For your name, 2 and 6. Leaning more towards 2, but it is harder to read.
I use #5 myself and have worked that into my logo, but I don't like it for your name. It doesn't scream mid-century to me.
If you could find a sparkle font or put some retro sparkle into one of these I think it might be nice. Edit: or somehow work a Cadillac into it...like on either end of the font...lol I'm just having fun!

Last edited:
When I first picked out a name for my company, I had a firm 'brand' in my mind. After hours of searching, I found company online that was similar to VistaPrint and OMG...that had EXACTLY what I was looking. So I called their CSR and spend some time going over my vision and I placed an order for samples. One of the things that I wanted to do was have my labels pre-printed so all I had to do was stick the sheets in the printer add the name of the soap.

Then I got my samples and...there was a problem. The labels were singles, not sheets...I couldn't run them through the printer. I got in touch with the designer and she said that she would be more than happy to adjust the design to fit on any of the labels the company had in stock. Great. NOT. All the sheet labels were either much too big or too small for my soap boxes. Back to the drawing board.

So I figure I will have to do it myself. Downloaded a bunch of new font, tried using Word...gave up. Someone mentioned Online Labels. Alrighty...they have the labels I want, in the sizes I want and they will even custom print. But not on my stock. Finally figured out how to order some labels to test. Figured out how to use Maestro Label Designer. Did a layout for each label. Print on white paper...YEAH.

So now I'm stuck on a font. Please vote for what you think works. Thank you.

View attachment 63061

Edited to fix spacing issue.
#6. It flows off my eyeballs…😊

I voted for number one myself. The fonts aren’t standard MS fonts…if I could have used a MS font I would have since I have a gazillion of them. Yeah, it would be all sunshine and roses if I had the bucks to hire someone to create my very own special font so I can be more professional, less predictable and likable, but unfortunately, I don’t have the money and have to make the best that I can with the tools that I have available to me.
I certainly didn't mean to offend you with my comments. I am aware that you do not have the capital to hire a professional. (That's why you are asking us 🙂) I was just trying to give you my honest consumer opinion, so again, I apologize for coming across as offensive.

I certainly didn't mean to offend you with my comments. I am aware that you do not have the capital to hire a professional. (That's why you are asking us 🙂) I was just trying to give you my honest consumer opinion, so again, I apologize for coming across as offensive.

Apology accept.

I also owe you an apology. One of the six fonts is a MS font. The fonts used...in order...Airstream, Harlow Solid Italic, Yesteryear, Rockabilly, Sacramento and Aspire. All but the Harlow Solid Italic were part of a MCM/Vintage font package that I picked up.

I guess I'm too cheap to have someone else print them for me.

It depends on how many labels you are printing. Right now...printing at home is okay since I'm just getting started, but I'm also thinking long term. What are my costs for printing 50 labels a months, a 100 a month, 250 a month? Not just the paper, but for ink/toner, wear and tear on my printer and of course, my time...not only to print, but also to make changes. In the time it takes me to print 10 pages, a print shop can print 100. And their costs for printer ink is a heck of a lot cheaper than a toner cartridge.

#6. My kids are in their early 20s and say they and many of their peers cannot read cursive handwriting. I was gobsmacked by this, still am.
So true. My granddaughter is 20 and told me a few years ago they don't even teach cursive anymore in school. I was totally surprised, and asked how do they expect children to read letters from their grandparents. Of course she said, 'No one writes letters." Why she didn't even know what a mail box was when I asked her to put a letter in the mailbox for me. I had to educate her about mailboxes, what they look like, how to recognize them, how and why they are used. She wasn't 20 at the time, but it was less than 5 or 6 years ago that I learned mail boxes were an unknown entity to kids her age.

So anyway, the thing about cursive fonts is that if not close enough to 'print' or non-cursive, young people (in the US) won't be able to read some of the words. That is a real shame, as I know it's hard enough reading the original hand written US Constitution and documents from that era, but to make letters in museums impossible for a young person to decipher just seems asinine to me.

So true. My granddaughter is 20 and told me a few years ago they don't even teach cursive anymore in school. I was totally surprised, and asked how do they expect children to read letters from their grandparents. Of course she said, 'No one writes letters." Why she didn't even know what a mail box was when I asked her to put a letter in the mailbox for me. I had to educate her about mailboxes, what they look like, how to recognize them, how and why they are used. She wasn't 20 at the time, but it was less than 5 or 6 years ago that I learned mail boxes were an unknown entity to kids her age.

So anyway, the thing about cursive fonts is that if not close enough to 'print' or non-cursive, young people (in the US) won't be able to read some of the words. That is a real shame, as I know it's hard enough reading the original hand written US Constitution and documents from that era, but to make letters in museums impossible for a young person to decipher just seems asinine to me.
Sorry to hijack this thread! My organization sends out many letters and thank you cards via postal mail. With volunteers, I have learned the hard way that I must always have a sample envelope to show where to position the stamp, address, and return address. And just a few years ago I needed a junior staffer to use a typewriter to complete a form in triplicate. She nearly had an anxiety attack typing And then when I said, "well at least you're using an electric typewriter, I remember manual ones" -- she nearly fell off her chair.

Last edited:

Do young people even go to museums? But I totally agree that it's a shame. NOT to get 'religious'...I have several Bibles: King James (my late mothers), New King James, Amplified, New International. My favorite is NKJ...it's updated just enough to get rid of all the 'thees' and 'thous', but it doesn't take away from the original (yes I know, English is not the original language, neither was Latin). On the other hand, I really disliked the Amplified because it was someone's interpretation of what was/wasn't important and I really dislike it when folks try to tell me how I'm supposed to think and feel. NOT be able to read the Declaration of Independence, or the Constitution or any other number of original documents...it's a crime.

Sorry to hijack this thread! My organization sends out many letters and thank you cards via postal mail. With volunteers, I have learned the hard way that I must always have a sample envelope to show where to position the stamp, address, and return address. And just a few years ago I needed a junior staffer to use a typewriter to complete a form in triplicate. She nearly had an anxiety attack typing And then when I said, "well at least you're using an electric typewriter, I remember manual ones" -- she nearly fell off her chair.

No worries. I had to teach a couple of co-workers earlier this year how to address envelopes and write checks.

Absolutely Love Your Catch Phrase!!!! Brilliant Can I Barrow It. Soaps For Every Body!!! ❤🤗🧼👑

Thank you and I would really prefer that you don't.

Do young people even go to museums? But I totally agree that it's a shame. NOT to get 'religious'...I have several Bibles: King James (my late mothers), New King James, Amplified, New International. My favorite is NKJ...it's updated just enough to get rid of all the 'thees' and 'thous', but it doesn't take away from the original (yes I know, English is not the original language, neither was Latin). On the other hand, I really disliked the Amplified because it was someone's interpretation of what was/wasn't important and I really dislike it when folks try to tell me how I'm supposed to think and feel. NOT be able to read the Declaration of Independence, or the Constitution or any other number of original documents...it's a crime.

No worries. I had to teach a couple of co-workers earlier this year how to address envelopes and write checks.

Thank you and I would really prefer that you don't.
Too Late: lol just kidding. 😉💫
Update: Try not to be so uptight' good lord! consider the thousands that will or already have used it anyhow?? At least I asked & respectfully will not use it, For Now... Though its a catchy Brilliant Phrase. Thx to our @ResolvableOwl for thinking of it.

Last edited:
Thx to our @ResolvableOwl for thinking of it.

He didn't...I did. See my response to Babyshoes in post #21.

And I'm not being "uptight"...I have freely shared both my Regular Soap and Goat Milk Soap recipes and my processes for said. I told Zing how exactly I made my Chocolate Espresso so he could copy it. When I posted all those pictures of my soap, I included what FOs and colorants I used, where I got them from and how I achieved my design. I have no doubt that I'm not original in my tagline, but for now, I would like to keep in mine. Thank you.

He didn't...I did. See my response to Babyshoes in post #21.

And I'm not being "uptight"...I have freely shared both my Regular Soap and Goat Milk Soap recipes and my processes for said. I told Zing how exactly I made my Chocolate Espresso so he could copy it. When I posted all those pictures of my soap, I included what FOs and colorants I used, where I got them from and how I achieved my design. I have no doubt that I'm not original in my tagline, but for now, I would like to keep in mine. Thank you.
Deleted

Back