Picking a Font

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which of the below fonts do you like best?

Votes: 2 8.7%

Votes: 3 13.0%

Votes: 1 4.3%

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

TheGecko

Reaction score
When I first picked out a name for my company, I had a firm 'brand' in my mind. After hours of searching, I found company online that was similar to VistaPrint and OMG...that had EXACTLY what I was looking. So I called their CSR and spend some time going over my vision and I placed an order for samples. One of the things that I wanted to do was have my labels pre-printed so all I had to do was stick the sheets in the printer add the name of the soap.

Then I got my samples and...there was a problem. The labels were singles, not sheets...I couldn't run them through the printer. I got in touch with the designer and she said that she would be more than happy to adjust the design to fit on any of the labels the company had in stock. Great. NOT. All the sheet labels were either much too big or too small for my soap boxes. Back to the drawing board.

So I figure I will have to do it myself. Downloaded a bunch of new font, tried using Word...gave up. Someone mentioned Online Labels. Alrighty...they have the labels I want, in the sizes I want and they will even custom print. But not on my stock. Finally figured out how to order some labels to test. Figured out how to use Maestro Label Designer. Did a layout for each label. Print on white paper...YEAH.

So now I'm stuck on a font. Please vote for what you think works. Thank you.

Fonts.png

Edited to fix spacing issue.

Last edited:
I picked no. 5
Biased maybe, my own "font" is similar lol

But no. 6 is a close second

All font samples except 3 and 5 have serious spacing issues around the dash. I don't want to be the one who has dodged when it's come to bad kerning.
@TheGecko You've asked for the typeface. I do have a favourite, but regardless, several of the samples deserve adjustment of the space between letters.

I like #2. Mid-century reminds me of neon signs, and this font is the most reminiscent of the time and of neon signs. Might not be what you’re after. I find 3 and 4 a little hard to read.
One point of consideration, some of the font samples seem to have an extra space after the hyphen, I would remove it. My two cents.
just Googled “happy days” and found this font, similar to #2. Or maybe the same? Anyway to me this reminds me of that time.
FF749A6E-0704-47FB-9EFB-E94AA0E19431.png

I like no. 6, in terms of readability, though the extra space after the dash will bother some. It might be possible to fix that.

Without knowing about the rest of your branding aesthetic though, it's hard to choose what would be most appropriate in isolation.

Yes, I also find that font #6 is easier on my eyes and more readable.

When I used to create flyers for training classes in the past, the feedback I received when using fancy fonts was that they were too hard to read. People generally prefer simpler fonts on labels, particularly if their vision is in any way not perfect.

BUT, it is perfectly fine to use a different font for your business name than for the rest of your labels, so if you prefer a fancier font for the business, that's fine, IMO, as long as the details about the soap is easy to read.

What soap boxes are you using? What does the rest of the label look like in terms of elements? What's your "brand" mood board look like? If you want something cohesive, just showing a font isn't really going to resolve the whole packaging designing. Mid-century / Mid-century modern is soooo my style aethestic so I have a certain idea of what I would imagine that would look like but is it the same interpretation as yours?

For the fonts: the first three are very heavy and hard to read. Depending on how you display it on your box with the level of white space and color could lessen the weight. #4 is not one that is used often and I like the decorative elements on the letters; it's different. #5 make me think very feminine and #6 is my preference as many for readability and stylistically. I would also remove the space after the dash to make the line of text cohesive and tighten the tracking on the letters. I've been a graphic designer for 18 years and lovvvveeee packaging design.

When I first picked out a name for my company, I had a firm 'brand' in my mind. After hours of searching, I found company online that was similar to VistaPrint and OMG...that had EXACTLY what I was looking. So I called their CSR and spend some time going over my vision and I placed an order for samples. One of the things that I wanted to do was have my labels pre-printed so all I had to do was stick the sheets in the printer add the name of the soap.

Then I got my samples and...there was a problem. The labels were singles, not sheets...I couldn't run them through the printer. I got in touch with the designer and she said that she would be more than happy to adjust the design to fit on any of the labels the company had in stock. Great. NOT. All the sheet labels were either much too big or too small for my soap boxes. Back to the drawing board.

So I figure I will have to do it myself. Downloaded a bunch of new font, tried using Word...gave up. Someone mentioned Online Labels. Alrighty...they have the labels I want, in the sizes I want and they will even custom print. But not on my stock. Finally figured out how to order some labels to test. Figured out how to use Maestro Label Designer. Did a layout for each label. Print on white paper...YEAH.

View attachment 63056

Wow, am I the only one that likes #1? I do not care for #2. I don't like it when I recognize fonts on packaging. That font is prominent in Microsoft word, and it does not look professional to me. My second choice would be #3. I think #4 looks like is says Foaps, and the last two are a little predictable to me. Just my two cents.

View attachment 63061

Edited to fix spacing issue.

6 is my favorite of these, then maybe 3

Back