Pic...not sure what happened?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karenricha

Reaction score
Hello Fellow soapers....got a question...I made a batch of soap...see photo with heart...came out wonderful - smooth...beautiful. I made the same batch..but this time using Lilac and Lavender essential oil. The only problem is ...after 24 hours..when I went to take it out of the mold...it seemed super soft...so I let it stay in the mold 2 more days...and as its drying now...it looks like photo B. Now It smells divine..and I was going to try to possibly cut the edges...to see if it looks better underneath
IMG_6014.jpg
...but not sure what happened. i soaped at a pretty low temp...I think my lye and my oils were under 115 F...any suggestions? Any suggestions about fixing this?

Attachments

• IMG_6050.jpg
    IMG_6050.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 208
I used a silicone 2 lb mold...i mean the base recipe was the same...the only difference was scent...and color...I am at work...I will check the recipe and let you know.

I would venture to say your lilac fragrance overheated or if using a lavender lilac fragrance oil it overheated. Full water will also cause higher heating in soap so if you used full water and floral fo's that would be the source of the overheating.

so if I wanted to make a floral scent with this the next time..do I set it in the fridge after its poured in the mold. And can this soap be saved..or no :(

Full water will also cause higher heating in soap so if you used full water and floral fo's that would be the source of the overheating.

I thought that full water would just cause the soap to gel in a lower temperature than usual, not that it will also raise the temperature too much...

It only slows down the time to reach trace, it makes the soap to gel in lower temperature and sometimes it creates the phenomenon the OP is pointing out.

Am I wrong?

Last edited:
so if I wanted to make a floral scent with this the next time..do I set it in the fridge after its poured in the mold. And can this soap be saved..or no :(

It's just a cosmetic issue - there is no need to 'save' this soap other than letting it cure if it was soft.

But as you posted them on your facebook page to sell I think that there are bigger problems than glycerin rivers.........

I thought that full water would just cause the soap to gel in a lower temperature than usual, not that it will also raise the temperature too much...

It only slows down the time to reach trace, it makes the soap to gel in lower temperature and sometimes it creates the phenomenon the OP is pointing out.

Am I wrong?

It does seem to cause soap to gel hotter faster with full water. Even a mild water discount will help. At least that is my experience. It's even quicker if you use a heater fragrance.

In my experience, the appearance of the glycerine rivers tends to fade as the soap ages. And, of course, one time I actually really WANTED it I didn't get it. *sigh*

It does seem to cause soap to gel hotter faster with full water. Even a mild water discount will help. At least that is my experience. It's even quicker if you use a heater fragrance.

Well looking from page number 32 and further at Dunn's report:

http://cavemanchemistry.com/HsmgTemperature2009.pdf

it shows that high/full water at a starting temperature of 40°C that we mostly soap, does not actually rises the soap's temperature very much maybe a few °C units, in contrast with low water recipe that raises soap's temperature around 20°C.

Pages 34-36 also shows that the neat (gel phase) is occurring at around 90°C with low water, at 70°C with medium water and at 60°C with high/full water...

:roll:http://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

If your known fo is a heater you can put the mold in the freezer, which is better than just the fridge for stopping gel. I have one fo I have to chill my lye, my mold and my extra liquids because it heats up so fast and hot, then immediately get it into the freezer and pray alot. Unfortunately it is my fav coconunt. As EG mentioned the glycerin rivers and crackle are just cosmetic and nothing is wrong with the soap. There are actually a few that like to try to create glycerin rivers and crackle. I personally do no like the look but that is just me. Customers could care less, they just think it was done on purpose

Back