Pi Day Prep

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlybyStardancer

Reaction score
So, next week we have Pi Day! Which is technically Monday, but my friends and I will be observing it Saturday.

Which means I need to narrow down the pies I make to 2-3 options. I want this to include savory pies, but that's where I'm stumbling. If I include meat with them, then I'd do two savory pies (as there's pescatarians in the group)... Not to mention that there's picky eaters (including myself). Add in the only savory pies I really know/understand are quiches... It's rather limiting.

At least I have a few days to ponder.

Empanadas or Cornish Pasties can be filled with ANYTHING. To my mind the only difference in the crust is the empanada is more buttery and flakey, but we have interchanged the crusts successfully. So then to my tiny mind - if its spicey or exotic, its an empanada, if its not, its a Cornish pasty :) Meat and potatoes, potatoes and cheese, cheese and veg, roast chili pepper and cheese, bbq chicken and potato, egg and ham, spinach and cheese...

Last edited:
My favorite savory pie is my French meat pie. Recipe Here (on last year's Pi Day thread). It's a family recipe handed down from my French-Canadian grandmother, and it is awesome, even if I do say so myself. I usually make it with an all-butter crust, but a few weeks ago I made it using my newly bought leaf lard from Fannie and Flo on Etsy, and it came out great!

I had forgotten all about Pi Day, and had no idea it was coming up so soon. Thanks for the head's-up! :) I guess my eyes were too much distracted by upcoming St. Patty's Day. lol I think I'll make my French meat pie again, but I'll also figure out a sweet pie to make as well.

IrishLass :)

I'd go with a crab quiche. I had a recipe on my old computer, but that died before I was able to back it up. I think I got it from allrecipes.com or something like that. I do remember that I made several quiches and salad for a dinner for friends who had three young boys. When John saw what was on the menu, he said the boys won't eat that. Proved him totally wrong! Even picky little boys think crab quiche is good.

Empanadas or Cornish Pasties can be filled with ANYTHING. To my mind the only difference in the crust is the empanada is more buttery and flakey, but we have interchanged the crusts successfully. So then to my tiny mind - if its spicey or exotic, its an empanada, if its not, its a Cornish pasty :) Meat and potatoes, potatoes and cheese, cheese and veg, roast chili pepper and cheese, bbq chicken and potato, egg and ham, spinach and cheese...

This is what I get for my upbringing- A fierce love for empanadas, especially with that green sauce that I can't remember what it's called (I eat it too often to forget like this). :cry: :mrgreen:

I also like Jamaica beef patties with coco bread but the one place I used to get that from closed down years ago. I never knew how hard it is to find a good place that makes it.

Ooh, and isn't the date of this year's Pi Day -- 3.14.16 (American style date) -- the value of pi rounded to 4 places? :)

Happy Pi Day everyone!

I ended up just making sweet pies. Blueberry and apple on Saturday. Chocolate cream on Sunday. I tried making the chocolate creme on Saturday too, but that attempt failed. Sunday's also failed, but was at least somewhat edible.

I made my French meat pie, enclosed in a leaf lard crust. Yum! I was going to make a chocolate cream pie for dessert, but ran out of time, dagnabit!

IrishLass :)

Back