Photo Photo Camera!? Which best camera?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bridgetmoon

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Wanted to find out if any of my fellow soap makers has found a good camera to take pictures with. I've tried Iphone 4GS (My phone is rubbish!) It takes great pictures but doesn't get the detail that i'm looking for in the soap and thats at 4-5 mega pixel!

Please advise if you found a good camera with a good mega pixel!?

Hi there! Honestly, as a former professional aviation photographer and sometimes working product photographer, any camera can give you good web quality photos as long as you understand what your camera can do and how to use it in the best light for your product.

Though, if you are looking for extreme detail, you might want to consider what they call a prosumer camera. A step above those completely thought free point and shoots with the capability of interchangeable lenses. You are going to want to have macro capabilities. But, honestly, it truly does come down to knowing how to make that camera work and staying away from on camera flash.

So, take a look at your budget and get what you can afford and what will work with your ideas. Nikon, Sony, Canon, Minolta... they all have good stuff. Though, for interchangeable lenses, probably Nikon, Canon and Minolta and for macro's Nikon and Canon. I have a Canon 70D myself. My roommate has the 5D, both take great photos (we have the same skill set), the only difference we can see is her file size is humongous.

My only tip is, if you get the Canon prosumer, get the Canon lenses. Also, make sure you get a camera that you can use with manual settings(integral to good product photos) and a tripod.

Also, it will help if you can get lenses where the Fstop is small; 4 or less. 2.8 or less is ideal. That's so you can do those fantastic selective focus shots that are so popular right now.

If you have any questions about a specific one you are looking at, let me know.
Hope this helps!
Luck!

I have a Kodak point and shoot, and I get crisp detail by sharpening and shrinking my raw my images in photoshop or gimp. When you reduce the size of the image, the pixels are forced closer together and creates more detail. It's a cheap and easy way to get good images with a basic camera. The one is pos to the forum I have been taking with an iPhone 3G. I don't like the quality but I have seen experiments where they showed model shots taken with iPhones. It really does come down to lighting.

Thanks, that's good information, i'll give it ago when I save up, I managed to find the old camera but suprising enough the mega pixel on this camera is much better than the iPhone lol >now that's bad!<

Well, in a way it is not too surprising, the camera is designed for picture quality specifically. On the other hand, the iPhone is designed for communication and the camera is just an added bonus on it.

The cameras on iPhones ate getting bigger and better. There an article where they did a
Model's portfolio with the iPhone. It was a littlw grainy, but inthought it ha been done with a Kodak because the results were the same as my cam. In photography the results often come down to lighting and shutter speed. If you can't afford a Prosumer grade camera but want something better and with more control then your camera phone, a 5 megapixel camera is more then enough. It's also an old enough technology you might be able to find one on Craigslist.

For easy to use camera on HP, I think I like Samsung Galaxy S3 the best. I am using S2, but I always use my bf's S3 to take pix.

Latest posts

Back