Photo Backdrops

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say a towel is totally appropriate for soap pics!

In terms of lighting, if you're a cheapskate but use a camera with a built in flash, you can fake a diffuser in various ways. I stick masking tape over the flash so it seems less directional and gives softer shadows.

After reading your tip's on soap photo shoot's thought i'd try to take a picture out side w/ a back drop of our weathered law chair' its a pretty sunny day. soap is a drop swirl w/ two different colors of brown' scented w/ NG Peppermint Patty ( smells so yummy just like the mint candy & the chocolate scent is a great replica) & Peppermint EO. I used a new soap stamp' I think it adds a nice finished touch' ordered from amazon. the photo issn't touched up, maybe I should have. 🧼😉💫

Attachments

• CBAF5A03-5601-4149-8E51-91C92DB6EC75.jpeg
    CBAF5A03-5601-4149-8E51-91C92DB6EC75.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 55
Nice!

I'd personally crop in a bit closer and touch up just a little, but every it shows the soap well, which at the end of the day is what you're going for.

I print out some backgrounds and run them through my laminator using matte film. I've also found some good-looking linoleum or ceramic tiles at Lowes to use as backgrounds. I switch them up so sometimes they are the horizontal surface and other times, the vertical background.

Edited to add:
I also like optimizing the exposure of the photos to ensure they have a good range of tones and properly reflect the shade of the soap. I start by trying to pick the right exposure on the camera, then use the Levels adjustment Photoshop. PS is expensive, though. for a simpler or cheaper approach, you could try a website like PineTools or free image editors like GIMP.

View attachment 53796
I used Photoshop extensively for 20 years. Once I retired, I could no longer afford it so I looked high and low. I discovered Affimity Photo and have never looked back! Far less expensive and I can do everything I was able to do in Photoshop.

I used Photoshop extensively for 20 years. Once I retired, I could no longer afford it so I looked high and low. I discovered Affimity Photo and have never looked back! Far less expensive and I can do everything I was able to do in Photoshop.
I have the Affinity suite, and the Serif suite. I find it a little over my head (I use Page Plus a LOT), to be honest, but I hope to make some time to learn it better. For now, I'm using a simple program, paint.net

I played a bit this morning. Overnight, I found myself thinking about a set up for my Goat Milk & Lavender soap and this is what I came up with. It's a cloudy, overcast day and, I must say, I'm pretty happy with this one. (Critique welcomed)

I'm finding that I really like flat lays.

View attachment 53822
Beautiful soap & Photo's 🤗💫

Love it! I would totally buy this soap based on this pic. I am in the process of editing some pics from one of my shoots, so I edited yours as well. Hope you like it. As I was editing your pic, I realized that this pic will come out really nice with additional lighting or with some more natural light (try taking the exact same shot when it is not overcast).

Attachments

• Copy2 of GM and Lavender_png.jpeg
    Copy2 of GM and Lavender_png.jpeg
    506.6 KB · Views: 29
Love it! I would totally buy this soap based on this pic. I am in the process of editing some pics from one of my shoots, so I edited yours as well. Hope you like it. As I was editing your pic, I realized that this pic will come out really nice with additional lighting or with some more natural light (try taking the exact same shot when it is not overcast).
I love it and I see what you did. Thank you!

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny (cold, but sunny) here. I think I'll try to talk my dh into helping me with some photos. He used to love photography; maybe I can pique his interest again.

I took these with an Iphone I tried a few backdrops but like this approach as well.

IMG_1071.jpeg

These two I just put the focus on a different a bath bomb to give myself focused options.

I haven't edited.

IMG_1068.jpeg
IMG_1069.jpeg

I took these with an Iphone I tried a few backdrops but like this approach as well.

It's fun trying new approaches, isn't it? I played with a mirror this morning. That was fun, too. I really had to be aware of not just the composition but of what was reflected in the mirror.

LOL at the glue bottle in the background. Yes, got to be aware of everything that might make it into the picture.

Tea My Valentine 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back