Photo Backdrops

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I must admit, I'm a little bit excited. Watching photography videos can be a little dangerous but one thing inspired me. Photo backdrops! My order arrived today - 3 backdrops with a different print on each side. I had to wait until I got home and this isn't the best (I left the shrink wraps on and they're not very attractive) but I'm happy! This opens up a whole new world! Now for the lighting....

20210203_174317_HDR.jpg

Fun! What camera are you using?

For lighting, if you have a sunny day and a spot out of direct sunlight where you could set up either outdoors or right next to a big window, that will make great photos.

If, like me, you live somewhere where grey days are more common than bright ones in winter, a light box might be a good investment. They're not overly expensive.

Fun! What camera are you using?

For lighting, if you have a sunny day and a spot out of direct sunlight where you could set up either outdoors or right next to a big window, that will make great photos.

If, like me, you live somewhere where grey days are more common than bright ones in winter, a light box might be a good investment. They're not overly expensive.
This was taken with my cell phone (LG Velvet), on my desk. The best window for me is my kitchen window, on my kitchen counter. Honestly, the light in this suite is horrible, especially at this time of year. I've been thinking about a light box but I've done without it this long so I can wait for a while longer. One thing at a time, right?

I appreciate the input, though.

Here's a quick snap of my "studio" and the result of that "shoot". LOL I'm really trying to take better photos and this is one step.

Attachments

• 20210125_174135_HDR.jpg
    20210125_174135_HDR.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210124_151039.jpg
    20210124_151039.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 65
I watched a video/TikTok where you can make your own backdrops with stiff poster board and contact paper....
Pretty pics!

I've been watching videos on how to make an effective light box for under $20... I've also seen them on Amazon for under $30 so wondering if I should even bother. I currently use a bookcase shelf... lined corregated cardboard with sticky shelf paper that looks like rustic white boards and will do the same for the background soon. Lighting is my real issue!

I went to Menards and picked up two boards - the decorative kind used for fancy closets - for $6 each. Here's my results:
1612468411506.png

You can see I don't quite get the lighting or focus the best... heck I'm not even sure the picture is straight! No amount of apps or photo editors seem to be able to help me, so I've deceided to give up on doing my own photos. On my list this week is to reach out to my photographer friend and hire her to do it. The time and energy for it just isn't worth it. I applaud those who can do it well.

I went to Menards and picked up two boards - the decorative kind used for fancy closets - for $6 each. Here's my results:
View attachment 53787
You can see I don't quite get the lighting or focus the best... heck I'm not even sure the picture is straight! No amount of apps or photo editors seem to be able to help me, so I've deceided to give up on doing my own photos. On my list this week is to reach out to my photographer friend and hire her to do it. The time and energy for it just isn't worth it. I applaud those who can do it well.

I think it looks great... and I love the soap. The only thing about 'proper' backdrops is they are one piece and flow from top to bottom giving a sort of infinity look (no line where horizontal meets vertical).

The biggest thing for me in our ground floor suite is lighting. Right now, I can't see spending on a fancy light set up because 1) I don't have any storage room or setup room and 2) I can't afford it. I love my new backdrops and I look forward to experimenting with different locations in our suite and outside, once the weather improves.

That's what I'm thinking as well... I'm looking forward to taking some photos outside!

The only thing about 'proper' backdrops is they are one piece and flow from top to bottom giving a sort of infinity look (no line where horizontal meets vertical).
And that's what I like about my boards. Unfortunately my eyes can't see a straightline (ahem, and I used to be a drafter!)... which is also why I avoid cutting soap by hand.

And that's what I like about my boards. Unfortunately my eyes can't see a straightline (ahem, and I used to be a drafter!)... which is also why I avoid cutting soap by hand.

I hear ya! That is me to a 'T'.

Lighting is my real issue!
Get a ring light like all the famous Tiktok-ers! Jusk Kidding! But the ring lights are pretty cheap and light small subjects... They have them on amazon... $40 with a stand! I've always like natural light though. Sunrise and dusk best times for natural light pics.

I print out some backgrounds and run them through my laminator using matte film. I've also found some good-looking linoleum or ceramic tiles at Lowes to use as backgrounds. I switch them up so sometimes they are the horizontal surface and other times, the vertical background.

Edited to add:
I also like optimizing the exposure of the photos to ensure they have a good range of tones and properly reflect the shade of the soap. I start by trying to pick the right exposure on the camera, then use the Levels adjustment Photoshop. PS is expensive, though. for a simpler or cheaper approach, you could try a website like PineTools or free image editors like GIMP.

Soap Bkg background, soap photo studio set-up.jpg

Last edited:
I must admit, I'm a little bit excited. Watching photography videos can be a little dangerous but one thing inspired me. Photo backdrops! My order arrived today - 3 backdrops with a different print on each side. I had to wait until I got home and this isn't the best (I left the shrink wraps on and they're not very attractive) but I'm happy! This opens up a whole new world! Now for the lighting....

View attachment 53776
WOW!!! Looks good !

These look great! I have been taking product photos for a while now and here are some suggestions. In general, I think the first thing you need is to think of high level photo categories:

1) Product photos for e-commerce/website/Etsy etc. - Ideally, these need to be close ups that clearly showcase your product in thumbnails while customers are browsing through online. I love blacked out backgrounds for my photos, but white is the most popular. A lot of folks take pics against rustic wood/brick type backgrounds as well. There are a ton of background options available on Amazon, Michaels etc. for as little as $20 if you want to experiment.

2) Pictures with props - Props will really help your pictures stand out. I sell a Bourbon & Oak shaving soap and one of my pics is the soap with a lathered up brush, safety razor and some lovely Bourbon in a nice whiskey glass. My Sweet Tobacco scent has a "pipe" as a prop. You do need to be careful with props though, your customers will associate your product with the prop, so it can potentially backfire if the prop that you choose does not "jive" with the product theme

3) Lifestyle pics - This is where you can experiment with perspectives, lighting, shadows etc. Try to take a portrait picture of your products, any backdrop will do really, you do even do this outside if you have the time. Hopefully your cell phone has a portrait mode, read a bit about "bokeh" and best practices around portrait photography. Change the perspective so that you place your camera horizontal and closer to the product. Let sunlight fall on your products and take a picture with natural shadows. Be creative!

There are other themes that are possible, but these 3 will allow you to build enough variety and good quality pictures.

The next thing is lighting, and boy, I can take the whole day to talk about just that. My recommendation without overwhelming folks that are just starting with product photography is to build a simple lightbox at home. You need a utility knife, tape, a medium size moving box/carton, some tissue paper to build this - total of may be $15 worth of investment. Ton of Youtube videos out there that show you how to build a lightbox. For lighting options, you can either re-use your table lamps or invest in some cheap lights, you really don't need this unless you have enough scale to warrant this kind of investment(time, money and space). If you don't want to do any of these, there are companies out there that will happily take your money and sell you a well made lightbox with pre-installed lights, these are convenient for sure, but personally I think they are a bit of a rip off.

Also, read a bit on composition. This is a whole another topic in itself(and my favorite actually), but I usually recommend familiarizing yourself with the rule of thirds, a very simple concept that everyone can incorporate to get their pics to stand out a bit.

Lastly, I think a lot of folks undermine the importance of editing. You don't need to be an expert, shoot RAW and edit in professional softwares like Lightroom, Capture One etc for this. I still take a ton of pics on my iPhone and edit them on the Photos app on my Mac. Editing is what will make your image stand apart from the rest of the crowd!

Hope this helps a bit and feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

People -- what's all this about improving backdrops and photography skills? You're gonna make my terrycloth bath towels feel bad. :(
There's always room for improvement, my dear Zing. Towels work great! Actually, I've been a photography buff (strictly amateur... very amateur) for a long time and any tips on improving are welcome. I'm not looking for professional quality, just tips that will help.

Latest posts

Back