• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Soap Making Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Phenolphthalein (PH Indicator)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donniej

Reaction score
Phenolphthalein, pronounced (fee-nul-thay-leen) is a PH indicator that goes from clear to pink/red around PH 10. If you watch CSI, you've probably also noticed that it's used for testing crime scenes :D This is a good range for testing soap for excess lye.

I've read that it's hard to get, so I ordered extra and I'm going to try to sell some of it off at what I think it is a good price, $7 shipped without bottle, $14 shipped with 1oz brown glass bottle and dripper. Shipping is for 48 states, sorry but I can ship to USA only as I don't know the laws about shipping it across borders.

It is a powder which you simply mix with rubbing alcohol. Then you drip it onto soap or into a little liquid soap. If the PH is 10 or higher it turns pink/red meaning your soap is still "hot". It's great when nuetralizing liquid soap. It's shelf life is 1 year after mixed with rubbing alcohol. It should be kept out of sunlight.

donniej said:
Phenolphthalein, pronounced (fee-nul-thay-leen) is a PH indicator that goes from clear to pink/red around PH 10. If you watch CSI, you've probably also noticed that it's used for testing crime scenes :D This is a good range for testing soap for excess lye.

I've read that it's hard to get, so I ordered extra and I'm going to try to sell some of it off at what I think it is a good price, $7 shipped without bottle, $14 shipped with 1oz brown glass bottle and dripper. Shipping is for 48 states, sorry but I can ship to USA only as I don't know the laws about shipping it across borders.

It is a powder which you simply mix with rubbing alcohol. Then you drip it onto soap or into a little liquid soap. If the PH is 10 or higher it turns pink/red meaning your soap is still "hot". It's great when nuetralizing liquid soap. It's shelf life is 1 year after mixed with rubbing alcohol. It should be kept out of sunlight.

That is too awesome !! how much do you get for $7?/$14 (like in weight units)?

1 gram, which is enough to make up to 3 liquid ounces. You only need a drop or two at a time so 1 ounce is more than enough to last a year. I typically use half an ounce per year (and I use a lot) and end up throwing out the rest.

cooooool :)

I may need to take you up on this offer as I ve been wanting to find a way to more accurately test my soaps (not that I have had a problem with them ever) but we both know Im a science nut and like to do experiments... whats one more chemical to keep around the house :)

Back