pH of dead sea salts-maybe this is why salt soap dosent work

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckis19

Reaction score
Well, I googled it and the only real bit of info I could find was here:
http://www.jstor.org/pss/2834912

It seems like it could be the reason they don't work in salt bars for many people is that they may lower the pH of the soap so much that it can't stick together- similar to the sludge you get if you try to add citric acid.

Just wondering, anyone out there who had a failed batch using Dead sea Salts still have some you can reconstitute and check to see if they're acidic? Might be interesting to see.

Also, has anyone actually had success making a batch with dead sea salts? Maybe it repends on the source how acidic it is?

I make a 13 lbs batch of soap with 24g of dead sea salt and it turns out fine. I use a basic recipe: 4 lbs olive oil, 2.5 lbs coconut oil, 1.5 lbs palm oil, 3.2 lbs distilled water and 505 NaOH.

I mix the soap to a heavy trace so that the salt gets evenly distributed throughout the batch.

Steve

HenleyNatural said:
I make a 13 lbs batch of soap with 24g of dead sea salt and it turns out fine. I use a basic recipe: 4 lbs olive oil, 2.5 lbs coconut oil, 1.5 lbs palm oil, 3.2 lbs distilled water and 505 NaOH.

I mix the soap to a heavy trace so that the salt gets evenly distributed throughout the batch.

Steve

That's soap with a little salt added; I think TS means salt soap as in up to 100% of the weight of the oils in salt.

I learned something new. I've never heard of salt soap before. Thank you for enlightening me. :D

Steve

Use regular table salt at slightly less than the weight of the oils, i.e. 40 oz of oils/butters and 38 oz salt. Turns out beautifully.

dagmar88 -

This is a great tutorial. It's what I followed when I made my first batch of salt bars. It's clearly written and the pictures are great! (I'm mainly a visual and tactile learner so I was thrilled to find this tutorial.)

Thanks for posting it. :D

I'm not Dagmar but I use my salt soaps all the time, not just for hand washing. My skin likes them very much, but it's my understanding that some people don't care for the lather, it's not big and bubbly like other soaps, mine produce more of a dense foam like this:

lather.jpg

You can see how there are almost little "curds" of lather rather than big fluffy bubbles.

I've not found them to be drying at all, and my skin tends to be dry, but I have noticed a tiny bit of stinging if I use them for shaving my legs and nick myself, ha.

Dagmar - your soap turned out so beautiful! May I ask what you used for the coloring? Did you purchase each color separately or did you mix colors to create different ones?

One last question - your tutorial says to add the salt at light trace. Many other people on this forum have suggested that you have to add it at heavy trace or the salt will stick to the bottom. Your pictures show a mixture that's very thick, so i'm a bit confused. Do you use salt equal to 100% of the weight of oils - and maybe that's why it thickens up so much?

Thanks for your help - can't wait to try it!

The only thing I can use on my face are salt bars and they help with break outs too. I love the coloring of the salt ahead of time, never thought of that :)

SudsyKat said:
Dagmar - your soap turned out so beautiful! May I ask what you used for the coloring? Did you purchase each color separately or did you mix colors to create different ones?

One last question - your tutorial says to add the salt at light trace. Many other people on this forum have suggested that you have to add it at heavy trace or the salt will stick to the bottom. Your pictures show a mixture that's very thick, so i'm a bit confused. Do you use salt equal to 100% of the weight of oils - and maybe that's why it thickens up so much?

Thanks for your help - can't wait to try it!

I get my colors from http://www.tkbtrading.com/; a lot of different ones, so I can mix my own.
I add the salt (I prefer around 80% of the weight of the oils) at light to medium trace because it thickens up a lot afterwards.

HenleyNatural said:
Do you use salt soap for mainly hand washing? How does it feel on the skin in regular bathing?

dagmar, that is GORGEOUS soap and a great little tutorial, thanks!

Steve

i LOVE salt bars. someone else described them as feeling just like a smooth river rock after the first use. that's how they feel to me, too, and they are also the only bar i can use on my face.

mine have lovely bubbly lather, using almost all coconut oil with a little castor and shea, and clay and fine sea salt. i had no luck whatsoever trying to make them with dead sea salts -- ugly sweaty stuff that felt like trying to wash with a block of cement ;)

p.s. tonight i'm trying a batch similar to the above with one third coconut milk at light trace, tussah silk, rose clay, lavender and pink grapefruit eo, and a whole lotta hope!

lovethyscent said:
The only thing I can use on my face are salt bars and they help with break outs too. I love the coloring of the salt ahead of time, never thought of that :)

I struggle with breakouts too. Now I'm really intrigued with salts bars.

When I swim in the ocean the salt water does wonders for my face. I'll have a clear complexion for days. With salt bars I can bring the ocean to my bathroom. What an inspiration! :D

Steve

Dagmar - thanks for your reply. Makes sense.

I hate to be a pest, but in terms of coloring, I was wondering whether you use micas or ultramarines or what? And anyone can chime in here - if you make salt soap, what do you like to use for the colorant?

By the way, I tried the food coloring with the salt - worked brilliantly - I love it!

Thanks! :)

lovethyscent said:

can't find the post in which someone was asking about coloring salt bars. if i'm making a batch for facial use i use just pink, rose or green clay for coloring, and essential oils. green clay is wonderful for oily skin, the pinks are excellent for sensitive skin. imho, salt bars are GREAT for breakouts! and i agree, my skin is never clearer than after swimming in the ocean :)

Hazel said:
I used micas to color my salt bars but that's because I had just gotten them and wanted to play.

I use micas, too. 75% on the salt. 20% SF. All coconut. Sell like crazy and I love 'em.

Latest posts

Back