Ph and sticky olive oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimar

Reaction score
Hello, I am newbie in Soap making and I just tested and tried a New bunch of Soap(ingredients : olive oil, water and lye) . I am a little confused about the ph metrics. When I use distilled Water the ph is about 10, but with non distilled water ph is about 8(using ph meter) . How can I be accurate?Another thing I noticed is that after the first use of Soap, it becomes sticky and produces a lot of bubbles!Is this or I have to reconsider my method?I attach an image of my New soap! Thanks a lot!

1431028116638.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum. First of all ditch the ph testing. It's not an accurate way to test soap. Use the zap test to be sure there is no excess lye. If you post your exact recipe and your process perhaps we can help you troubleshoot what may be causing you trouble. Soap generally is 8.5-10 ph if tested correctly. Could also be higher with no troubles.

Welcome to the forum. How long have you cured the soaps? OO soaps are kind of slimy, at least I get this feeling :)

Thank all of you for the replies!
shunt2011 : what is zap test and how can i do this?The recipe is ( 500gr Olive oil, 64,25gr NaOH, 157,80 gr water)! I used the Cold process method!

Dahila : The soap cured for about 2 months (12 March - 7 May)!
Thanks a lot!

2 months is not very long for a Castile. Some leave it for 6 months, most say 12 months but there are some who say they are never cured and are always slimy. I left mine for 12 months and they are okay. Not great soaps, but made for a purpose (friends with allergies) so they are what they are.

Latest posts

Back