Petroleum Jelly

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrissyB

Reaction score
HI Everyone
Well once again I was jet setting around the web, I'm an armchair traveller!!
Anyways, I found a website for a lady that makes soap, and she uses petroleum jelly to make her soap. I have never heard of this. Has anyone here?

I have made petroleum soaps....ones with mineral oils, petroleum distillates, and hydrocarbons like kerosene.

These products don't saponify but you can add between 10-20% of the total weight of your oils without harm. I mix them in at trace. I would imagine the petroleum jelly would make a very moisturizing bar.

I don't understand why you'd want to add petroleum products to soap?

For me, the whole point of making soap is having it free from chemical additives, other than what it needs to be soap & some EO or FO. FO's are as far as I'll go as far as adding synthetics to my soaps.

mandolyn said:
I don't understand why you'd want to add petroleum products to soap?

For me, the whole point of making soap is having it free from chemical additives, other than what it needs to be soap & some EO or FO. FO's are as far as I'll go as far as adding synthetics to my soaps.

I have no issue with petroleum products in my soap.....for some things they're quite useful. For example, Fels Naptha contains petroleum distillates and they really give it a boost on grease cutting....the reason why I use kerosene in my stain sticks.

Now, as far as bath and body goes, I would probably stick with mineral oil. :)

Lucy said:
J&J Baby Oil is mineral oil.

Yes it is. I use the mineral oil from over in the laxative section for my soaps. It's great to keep stuff from sticking in a mold and it has no fragrance. :)

Back