Personalized Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenBen

Reaction score
Hello,

I’d like to personalize, with names or initials, soaps that I’m giving out at Christmas. I wondered if I could use stamps or those little brands they use for steak? Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone tried any techniques that have worked well for them?

Thanks.

Jenifer

Acrylic stamps! Some even used hard rubber stamps - but with limited luck. I don't know about the brands - they're probably iron and I don't know if that's a metal lye reacts to, except historical societies use those big iron kettles? DeeAnna would know

Rubber stamps work well in the right conditions, and sound more affordable for the project you have in mind. They are cheaper than the acrylic soap stamps, particularly if on purchases the custom-make ones. They can be found/purchased flat without being mounted to anything, or mounted to wood (like the one in the video below) or plastic. I have used a variety of flat unmounted rubber stamps with soap and they are fun to use.

Here is a video by Amy Warden of one technique for using rubber stamps to embellish soaps:

To use an unmounted flat rubber stamps in a similar way, place them on the soap surface, then tap lightly with either the side of the hand or a rubber mallet, then remove it carefully. Depending on how soft or hard the bar of soap is, choose an appropriate amount of pressure.

Another useful thing for the unmounted rubber stamps, is that they can be placed inside the bottom of a soap mold facing up and the soap batter is poured directly onto the stamp in the mold. Once the soap is removed from the mold and the stamp removed, the soap is already pre-stamped for you. I've done this several times and you can buy stamps for this purpose usually sold for use with Melt & Pour, but works just fine with CP soap as well.

Afterward, a bit of mica painted on with a tiny paint-brush can create a lovely personalized soap.

ETA: Here is an example of the flat stamps I was talking about. They are call embossing stamps.

Last edited:
@earlene Thank you so much for this. You confirmed an idea I had about laying stamps in the bottom of a mold. I bought an ice-cube tray and a few $1 to see if it will work. Thank you for telling me about your experience doing it. Thank you also for telling me that the stamps without wooden blocks are called embossing stamps! I wouldn’t have known that.

Jenifer

image.jpg

They used to have these little plastic letters at Michaels.
I think they were for cake decorating. I can't remember what they were called but they worked well on soap.
They are called cookie stamps on Amazon.
These ones? I just finished stamping a batch last night with this n haven't put it away lol
IMG_20201101_134134.jpg

They work fine for HP (not immediately after cutting though) and I bet they will for CP too. Just have to figure out the right when lol

While my CP soap is still a little soft, firm enough to cut, but a little too soft to start beveling in earnest, that seems to be the best time for using embossing stamps on the surface. I think the same would be true for the plastic letters (like kids use - I have some as well, but never did try them for this purpose). I bought a similar set of those to use with needle felting on felted soap, to create the ballteam letters for my brother's favorite team.

To emboss or stamp a freshly cut soap, one needs to use a gentle hand, otherwise the soap can get squished. I suggest trying on one bar and see if you are comfortable with it. If not, wait a day and try again on the other side of the first soap you tried. This way you don't 'ruin' more than one soap in the learning process. (Learning how much pressure to apply; learning how soon you can stamp the soap using this method.)

Rubber stamps work well in the right conditions, and sound more affordable for the project you have in mind. They are cheaper than the acrylic soap stamps, particularly if on purchases the custom-make ones. They can be found/purchased flat without being mounted to anything, or mounted to wood (like the one in the video below) or plastic. I have used a variety of flat unmounted rubber stamps with soap and they are fun to use.

Here is a video by Amy Warden of one technique for using rubber stamps to embellish soaps:

To use an unmounted flat rubber stamps in a similar way, place them on the soap surface, then tap lightly with either the side of the hand or a rubber mallet, then remove it carefully. Depending on how soft or hard the bar of soap is, choose an appropriate amount of pressure.

Another useful thing for the unmounted rubber stamps, is that they can be placed inside the bottom of a soap mold facing up and the soap batter is poured directly onto the stamp in the mold. Once the soap is removed from the mold and the stamp removed, the soap is already pre-stamped for you. I've done this several times and you can buy stamps for this purpose usually sold for use with Melt & Pour, but works just fine with CP soap as well.

Afterward, a bit of mica painted on with a tiny paint-brush can create a lovely personalized soap.

ETA: Here is an example of the flat stamps I was talking about. They are call embossing stamps.

I have a ton of these stamps in a kit I bought for my kids years ago! Great idea! Wont the mica just rub off though?

These ones? I just finished stamping a batch last night with this n haven't put it away lol
View attachment 51118
They work fine for HP (not immediately after cutting though) and I bet they will for CP too. Just have to figure out the right when lol
Yes. They work well on CP also. I can't remember exactly when though but thinking a soap a couple of days old probably.

I mostly use rubber stamps dipped in mica, which are easy-peasy to use. Here are a few examples:
IMG_2460HolidaySparkleCroppedResized640.JPG

IMG_0084AvocadoSmallResized640.jpg
IMG_5237SmallCroppedDish640.jpg

I dip them in mica the same way as is shown in the video posted above and I stamp when my soap is still slightly soft, then I lightly spritz the design with alcohol after I get done stamping in order to help 'set' the mica in place. Just one quick spritz of alcohol from about 6" to 8" away per each stamp is all you want to do. Any more than that and you risk causing the mica to run. The alcohol does not keep 100% of the mica from rubbing off if you were to intentionally rub over it with your fingers, mind you, but it really does help to keep the majority of it intact and looking good, even throughout the process of wrapping.

I also have some acrylic stamps made by MilkyWay that I like to use that take a different approach when it comes to making them 'pop' with mica, because the design is recessed/sunken in:
IMG_5556Resized640.JPG

Dipping such a stamp in mica will only highlight the 3 stripes on the bee's tail and nothing else, so I don't even bother, Instead, after I stamp my soap, I paint the mica on all the raised-up areas with an artist brush. I make my own mica 'paint' out of gold mica and a touch of glycerin. It takes a few weeks to completely dry, which is no biggie since the soap needs to cure for several weeks anyway, but once it's dry, it's pretty darn permanent. Only washing with water or scraping it with sharp instrument will get it to come off.

IMG_1449OrangeBlossomHoneyCroppedResized640.JPG

IrishLass :)

Morning Everyone,
Thank you all enhancing my knowledge a bit more on the soap making front today :) . Had to google what Mica was here in Australia and realized I have a few colours in my scrapbooking stash. Will definitely be giving this a whirl in the future. Have in the past stamped my soap "handmade with love" and someone tried to eat it thinking I had made chocolate for them. lol have a great day and stay safe.

79666671-A301-4423-8E6E-BDCC915501A3.jpeg

I found these marked-down at Michael’s. After sorting them I saw that they are missing the letter “G”.
I followed the package instructions and put a little bit soap down first, then the stamp in some molds.
8798CB25-24A0-4417-995B-98C42B26E81C.jpeg

I also tried one on top.

2C70A091-C8FD-41FC-87BA-C3F6D9CAC543.jpeg

Not bad, but I’d like to get them centered and I’d love to find bigger stamps.

View attachment 57711
I found these marked-down at Michael’s. After sorting them I saw that they are missing the letter “G”.
I followed the package instructions and put a little bit soap down first, then the stamp in some molds.
View attachment 57712
I also tried one on top.

View attachment 57713
Not bad, but I’d like to get them centered and I’d love to find bigger stamps.
You can also put them on the bottom of the soap mold before pouring the soap; that's what I generally do. If you want it to stay in place, put a dab of Vaseline on the bottom of the stamp and it will adhere pretty well to where you place it in the dry mold. As long as your soap is not super hot when you pour, the stamp should remain where you put it and then you can pick it out once unmolded.

But if you prefer to place it on top of the batter (or forgot to put it in the bottom), and want it centered better, try using a couple of chopsticks to move it into place. I don't think it would work as well as the bottom placement, though.

Latest posts

Back