Personal Blogging

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone:)
I'm looking into blogging for my own personal soaping record keeping. Does anyone have any ideas or platforms or ways that I can just blog for my own purposes? I don't really care about ads money or even having to be posted on Pinterest. Are there any type of blogging platforms that can be kept personal for personal use only?

Wordpress is a good option, as Misschief mentions. For private posts, set the "visibility" to "private" when you publish the post.

You can create a free or low cost blog through the Wordpress website. Or you can set up an internet domain, install the Wordpress application on that domain, and then the options are unlimited. WordPress.com: Create a Free Website or Blog

Another option for private blogging is Facebook. Write a post, upload photos, and set the audience to "just me".

A third option is Google's Blogger. It's been a long time since I had much to do with Blogger, so I can't tell you too much about how it works nowadays. Blogger.com - Create a unique and beautiful blog. It’s easy and free.

Last edited:
I'm looking into blogging for my own personal soaping record keeping. Does anyone have any ideas or platforms or ways that I can just blog for my own purposes? I don't really care about ads money or even having to be posted on Pinterest. Are there any type of blogging platforms that can be kept personal for personal use only?

I started out with WordPress, then one day we lost Internet and I went out and bought a notebook.

I assumed the OP wants a cloud based storage option based on how the post was worded, but you're right -- blog articles written and stored on a local computer are another option. In that case, any word processing app would do the trick.

I use blogspot.com. I have always found wordpress counterintuitive for me (but we'll just acknowledge my brain works different than the majority). Blogspot works for my "I want to do this quick and not think about how to do it" thinking.

I use blogspot.com. I have always found wordpress counterintuitive for me (but we'll just acknowledge my brain works different than the majority). Blogspot works for my "I want to do this quick and not think about how to do it" thinking.
Does blogspot allow you to set visibility to private so only you see your content? I just want the freedoms and creativity of blogging platforms, not the actual publication or recognition

Another option - if you're just looking for a cloud based storage system for your notes is Evernote? It has rich text editing - tables, graphics, drawings, etc. Also - almost any of the google apps would work, especially when combined with Google Drive. I think they even have some simple webpage publishing tools etc. if you eventually did want to turn it into a public facing site.

Or - you could guest blog for us hereRavago Chemicals Blog

Happy Soaping! :p

Does blogspot allow you to set visibility to private so only you see your content?
I think so. It's been a few years since I looked at settings on blogspot, but there used to be a private function that only allowed users with the password to see your content. Don't give out the password and no one can see it :)
Ah, yes, I just did a check, and you have a few reader options:
1611000320476.png

But this doesn't come up when you create the blog, it's automatically set to public. After you create the blog url, you will need to go to Settings and scroll down to Permissions - Reader Access to change it.

I think so. It's been a few years since I looked at settings on blogspot, but there used to be a private function that only allowed users with the password to see your content. Don't give out the password and no one can see it :)
Ah, yes, I just did a check, and you have a few reader options:
View attachment 53330
But this doesn't come up when you create the blog, it's automatically set to public. After you create the blog url, you will need to go to Settings and scroll down to Permissions - Reader Access to change it.
Thank you so much!

I assumed the OP wants a cloud based storage option based on how the post was worded, but you're right -- blog articles written and stored on a local computer are another option. In that case, any word processing app would do the trick.

I must be old. By ‘notebook’ I was talking about a paper one. I’ll sit in the evenings watching videos or reading articles, and will jot down recipes or ideas or some R&D stuff. And sometimes I got back to my beginning notes and see how far I have since the early days. You were the one who taught me that there was more to curing soap than just water evaporation.

Back