Permanent Mold Liner

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artemis

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The Hubs and I were talking about making a wooden mold. I was explaining the many different ways they are made and the benefits: to hinge or not, etc. This led to a discussion of silicone liners vs freezer paper, and so on, which led to one of those "I can improve this" moments that can happen with engineer types.

Anyway, this is his idea. 1) Construct a wooden mold with hinges. 2) purchase affordable silicone liners. 3) Cut liner apart at the corners. 4) Permanently affix the liner pieces to the inside of the mold.

Ok! What do you think? Why won't this work? It sounds like it wouldn't work as well in practice as it seems on paper? I welcome your thoughts and ideas.

One reason this might not work for me is that I pull the silicone away from the side of the soap to see if it is ready to unmold. You wouldn’t be able to do that as one side at least (or more) would have to slide across one face of the soap (the ends of the soap).
Also I push the soap out of the mold by pushing in the bottom.

You would have to push the soap sideways off the bottom silicone and might damage the soap.

Why not buy the silicone liner you want and make a frame to match?

I don't think that would work either. I too pull the sides of the silicone away to test if it's ready. Also, what I did was purchase the silicone liners separately and my husband built my molds to work with them. He made them like Bramble Berrys with the slide out bottom so I just purchased the liners from them. That was many years ago. I now use Nurture's 7.5 lb molds and purchased the basic set when they were 45.00 each. The bottoms are now coming off after about 3 years (he re-stapled them) so my husband is going to make me molds for the silicone to fit into and I want them with the sliding bottom as they were so easy to get out.

Why not buy the silicone liner you want and make a frame to match?

I want a 1lb wooden mold. There are no such things as liners for that size. I am not interested at the moment in buying a kit making a liner myself. I'm fine with freezer paper, but his gears are turning. [emoji4]

I want a 1lb wooden mold. There are no such things as liners for that size. I am not interested at the moment in buying a kit making a liner myself. I'm fine with freezer paper, but his gears are turning. [emoji4]
Hmmm I get that.
When I want a 1 lb mold I block of my longer mold with some core flute and a solid piece of wood. Not as elegant as a proper mold but easy!

I used a silicone sheet from my dehydrator to make a liner. you should be able to buy something like that

Costwise, I think purchasing and cutting up a silicone liner for a test could be an issue, unless you have access to low cost silicone liners.

If cost is not a factor, I'd go for it and test it out in your one-pound mold. To see how well (or not) it works, often trying it out is the best bet.

Since he is an engineer, I would trust him to come up with a method of adhesion that will stick, but that would be my one concern in this endeavor, really. So far I haven't found any adhesive that is 100% long-lasting under the best of circumstances, but if he knows of one that will likely withstand the challenges of gelling soap and possibly CPOPing will present for this mold, then I anxiously await your results.

Have you looked into making an acrylic or HDPP mold instead? The soap doesn’t stick to the sides so it doesn’t really need a liner.

Have you looked into making an acrylic or HDPP mold instead? The soap doesn’t stick to the sides so it doesn’t really need a liner.

I don't recommend those for nothing. I had one of each and still have one that I only use for salt bars and I have to line the bottom and use mineral oil to on the sides to get them off. Some have luck with them but I never did.

My husband bought a thick vapor barrier plastic. I like it and in going to use this as a reusable mold liner.

Attachments

• 7B86F7EC-812D-40F3-BFF8-D9DB00D42587.jpeg
    7B86F7EC-812D-40F3-BFF8-D9DB00D42587.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 16
It actually two pieces, but once it is molded into place it does not budge.

that's how I started using freezer paper, but I used 2 pieces cuz I figured there would be a ridge on the bottom. it did work doing it this way--nothing leaked out

that's how I started using freezer paper, but I used 2 pieces cuz I figured there would be a ridge on the bottom. it did work doing it this way--nothing leaked out

If your plastic is big enough it can be folded as to fit the mold. I’m going to do it that wAy with other molds to test both options.

Anyway, this is his idea. 1) Construct a wooden mold with hinges. 2) purchase affordable silicone liners. 3) Cut liner apart at the corners. 4) Permanently affix the liner pieces to the inside of the mold.

Ok! What do you think? Why won't this work? It sounds like it wouldn't work as well in practice as it seems on paper? I welcome your thoughts and ideas.
I imagine cleaning the mold would be difficult if needed. I'm a huge fan of being able to throw my silicone T&S into a sink of hot sudsy water, walking away for 10 minutes, and coming back to give it a quick wipe out and a rinse.

If I could go back in time, I'd tell my husband to build my molds to meet the dimensions of existing liners and purchase liners. (Or, you know, use freezer paper until I could afford to buy liners.) Now I'm settled in to my molds and can't find liners to match.

I can't quite figure out how you would remove the soap from the mold if the silicone liner was permanently attached. Wouldn't something like this be easier? Then he could build you a mold to fit the 2.5 lb loaf mold if you wanted a bigger one.

I can't quite figure out how you would remove the soap from the mold if the silicone liner was permanently attached. Wouldn't something like this be easier? Then he could build you a mold to fit the 2.5 lb loaf mold if you wanted a bigger one.
That's what I have now. It is quite rigid, which means that I have to manhandle the soap to get it out. I'm tired of stretching and shaking the mold, only to have the soap fall onto the work table. What I want is a hinged one, that I can put the sides down. I really don't want a bigger one. As a hobby soaper, I rarely make a batch larger than this. Worse, I don't have space to keep anything larger. My soapiness is already overflowing the laundry-- I mean, work shop.

Latest posts

Back