Quantcast

Permanent Mold Liner - Mylar?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

LBussy

Reaction score
I know someone mentioned somewhere they use mylar as a liner. At least I think I remember that. Can anyone share their experience with it? What thickness, etc? Do you use 5 individual sheets?

topofmurrayhill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I know someone mentioned somewhere they use mylar as a liner. At least I think I remember that. Can anyone share their experience with it? What thickness, etc? Do you use 5 individual sheets?
This is what you want. It's durable and the no-melt stands up to CPOP if you need. Cut 5 pieces out of the 12 x 18 as efficiently as is practical according to the size of your mold. I use one piece of tape at the top edge of the 4 side-liners and drop in the bottom piece. Measure and cut carefully one time, wash or at least rinse well between uses, and enjoy your soaping. :)

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/no-melt-mylar-temp-plastic-514158/

not_ally

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you. I bought several of those sheets, and spent an unfruitful few hours trying to get a foldable version. Seems like it would be much easier to cut separate pieces, I am going to try that.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I've been using heat-resistant mylar as a liner for some time, now. I do as TOMH does. I cut out 5 individual sheets (instead of folding them).

Cutting them to precise size is the tricky part. The best way that I was able to do it was to measure and cut them out a little bigger than my measurement at first, and then whittle down to size. If you have one of those scrapbooking craft cutter things that helps you to slice things in a straight line, it helps tremendously. Once you have them cut, you may never have need to cut out another set again (mine that I cut out about 5 or 6 years ago or so are still going strong).

Not_ally- I can relate. lol I tried doing the folding method with my first set of mylar sheets, and it was a complete disaster. I totally wasted my mylar sheets (and my money) on that fiasco. Cutting them to precise size is the way to go. :thumbup:

IrishLass :)

LBussy

Reaction score
What are these used for in embroidery? Just in case I need to explain what I need at the craft store

boyago

Reaction score
I saw these and for a couple bucks I figured I would order em and see what they were made of. http://www.sciplus.com/p/CHOPPING-MATS_23847
I had expected the package to say something about what they were made of. There was absolutely no helpful information. They feel like polycarb but may be something else. Anyhoo, I just gave them a shot in 3" PVC and with a flick of the wrist the liner and soap just slid out of the pipe. The batter/soap didn't seem to affect the mat at all so I'm assuming it's nonreactive.

ETA: I was curious if you were making new molds or just looking to line your existing molds. I think I am going to make a few of my own soon and figure I will take a material like this and laminate it to the surface of the wood before I cut my stock to shape.

Last edited:

Pepsi Girl

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
ETA: I was curious if you were making new molds or just looking to line your existing molds. I think I am going to make a few of my own soon and figure I will take a material like this and laminate it to the surface of the wood before I cut my stock to shape.
I tried using a glue (don't remember what kind)
And the soap melted the glue and the Mylar, chemical reaction I guess. So you might just be aware of that little fact.:shock:

LBussy

Reaction score
New molds ... that's an interesting idea.

LBussy

Reaction score
If you have one of those scrapbooking craft cutter things that helps you to slice things in a straight line, it helps tremendously.
You crafty ladies have all sorts of tricks ... and I don't know what you are talking about. :p

I searched for a "scrapbooking craft cutter thing" but I am not sure I got what you mean. Help a poor dumb man out? Was it one of these?

I have a regular paper cutter (arm). Think that would work?

This is the folded kind.
So when I make my molds and buy the sheets, I send them to Pepsi Girl to fold up. Check! :)

Would it work to use silicone pan liners cut into the correct sizes?
I don't see why they would not work - but they are flimsy and you'd want some way to hold them on the sides while you pour. The reason I think the mylar might be nice is because it's going to be semi-rigid and just take a dab of wax or tape to hold it. Fondant mats are another one I see sometimes mentioned.

boyago

Reaction score
I tried using a glue (don't remember what kind)
And the soap melted the glue and the Mylar, chemical reaction I guess. So you might just be aware of that little fact.:shock:
Yowser! O never would have have thought of the three all getting together to ruin your day. I think I'd probably go with a silicone glue.

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
You crafty ladies have all sorts of tricks ... and I don't know what you are talking about. :p

I searched for a "scrapbooking craft cutter thing" but I am not sure I got what you mean. Help a poor dumb man out? Was it one of these?

I have a regular paper cutter (arm). Think that would work?
The answer is 'yes' to both your questions. :)

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Would it work to use silicone pan liners cut into the correct sizes?
I found Mylar but it looks different from the stuff in this thread. It looks transparant and thinner, so not sure if that's the same stuff ..
Here is a link to the pan liners I have in mind http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Flexibl...-Liner-Placemat-Table-Protector-/131372920393

There are different grades of mylar from really thin and flimsy, to thicker and sturdy. The heat resistant kind that I use is made of the thicker/sturdier/semi-rigid stuff.

The silicone liners in your link look like they would work just fine. :thumbup:

I also have decorative silicone fondant mats in my liner repertoire (the ones with the raised, fancy designs on them). I think they are also known by the name of 'impression mats'. Anyway, they are awesome! I cut them to size just like I do with my mylar and dab Vaseline on the back of them to adhere them to my mold (also just like I do with my mylar).