Perm Solution Smell Mystery Solved

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It happened again yesterday with my new batch of soap. This is the third time I’ve got the darkened centre, and perm solution smell. Both will rectify within a day or two, I know now.
It’s when I use coconut cream in the recipe! This is the one variable that hasn’t changed in all three soaps like this.
Not sure why it’s started doing this, as I’ve used it for two years now with no problem. But there you have it.
1CC8C2C1-0BE2-49B6-B1DC-72D083764DC1.jpeg

Glad you found the cause. Maybe try a different brand?
Yes I had started using this one because it has no additives, just coconut cream. many of them contain guar gum and various other additives and preservatives. So I was going for as natural as possible. That'll learn me!

It happened again yesterday with my new batch of soap. This is the third time I’ve got the darkened centre, and perm solution smell. Both will rectify within a day or two, I know now.
It’s when I use coconut cream in the recipe! This is the one variable that hasn’t changed in all three soaps like this.
Not sure why it’s started doing this, as I’ve used it for two years now with no problem. But there you have it.
View attachment 51578
Glad you found the problem' Permanent Wave Solution Stinks' phew!, Hope you can find a good replacement, I too love the smell of coconut or Coconut cream scents or natural.

Yes I had started using this one because it has no additives
That has happened to me once. My favorite Shea Butter and Coconut Milk soap. I always used canned coconut milk ice cubes, then one day I decided to make my own coconut milk. Just distilled water and organic coconut and for the first time I experienced soap on a stick and it discolored a lot during gel, but didn't notice a smell! I went back to canned coconut milk.

Back