perfume question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guspuppy

Reaction score
Can you put actual perfume in soap batter, that you have no idea what the ingredients are? I ask because I have an ancient bottle of perfume that was my mom's. I would guess that at minimum it is 40 years old and possibly much older. But it smells WONDERFUL and I'd love to try soap smelling like that!

IMG_1352.JPG

Can you put actual perfume in soap batter, that you have no idea what the ingredients are? I ask because I have an ancient bottle of perfume that was my mom's. I would guess that at minimum it is 40 years old and possibly much older. But it smells WONDERFUL and I'd love to try soap smelling like that!

You can't do it with CP soap.

You can generally do it with liquid soap.

You can generally do it with transparent soap, made from scratch or M&P base.

Offhand, I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work with HP soap also.

I tried that with MP once, using a "trick" I read somewhere online. It said to freeze the perfume in a small container, so that the water portion would freeze, allowing me to pour off the oils. I added the oil portion to MP base, about 1 tsp per lb. The finished soap seemed ok at first but after a couple of days, it sweat and oozed something awful. The scent did hold up though.

Ooooo...Muguet des Bois, I used to wear that in high school! It's lily of the valley, and it does smell wonderful. It's been a very long time since I smelled it, don't even know if they make it any more. You have a treasure! :)

I have an idea, although it isn`t exactly what you asked for...

If this cologne really is that old, I really (!!!!!!) wouldn`t waste it in soap! (pleasepleaseplease don`t...)

People pay good money to get their hands on true vintage bottles, even if you don`t have the box it came in (double score if you do)
I love vintage perfumes and I have several of them (not bought, just saved them from when I was young, they are worth big money now.)
Yours do too:
HERE
HERE
HERE

Instead, sell it on ebay etc - get money from it. Then, buy soap supplies, like fragrances or essential oils etc?

Last note: What if you do use it in the soap, it ends up smell amazing, but the scent is impossible to get a hold of ever again. So you have wonderfull soap that smells divine and you savour every bit of it, because it reminds you of your mom. But it will be a soap you won`t be able to duplicate again (unless you have to pay $40 for a half empty bottle that smells off)

Just wanted to throw that out there : )

I have an idea, although it isn`t exactly what you asked for...

If this cologne really is that old, I really (!!!!!!) wouldn`t waste it in soap! (pleasepleaseplease don`t...)

People pay good money to get their hands on true vintage bottles, even if you don`t have the box it came in (double score if you do)
I love vintage perfumes and I have several of them (not bought, just saved them from when I was young, they are worth big money now.)
Yours do too:
HERE
HERE
HERE

Instead, sell it on ebay etc - get money from it. Then, buy soap supplies, like fragrances or essential oils etc?

Last note: What if you do use it in the soap, it ends up smell amazing, but the scent is impossible to get a hold of ever again. So you have wonderfull soap that smells divine and you savour every bit of it, because it reminds you of your mom. But it will be a soap you won`t be able to duplicate again (unless you have to pay $40 for a half empty bottle that smells off)

Just wanted to throw that out there : )

It was just a curiosity, if I could do it and if it wouldn't use much of the perfume. I'd never use the whole bottle in soap, and I'll NEVER sell it! I wear it! :mrgreen:

Ooooo...Muguet des Bois, I used to wear that in high school! It's lily of the valley, and it does smell wonderful. It's been a very long time since I smelled it, don't even know if they make it any more. You have a treasure! :)

I really really do. My mom died in 1997, and for some reason I kept this out of everything. I forget about it, then find it again, try it, LOVE IT, use it for awhile, forget about it... and so on. Recently found it again and have put it in the bathroom cabinet and wear it often just for me to smell while I walk dogs. (my job) :)

I really really do. My mom died in 1997, and for some reason I kept this out of everything. I forget about it, then find it again, try it, LOVE IT, use it for awhile, forget about it... and so on. Recently found it again and have put it in the bathroom cabinet and wear it often just for me to smell while I walk dogs. (my job) :)

Our scent memories are the strongest of all our sense memories. I'm sure you kept it because every time you smell it, it brings back memories of your mom. Wearing it while you walk the dogs is like having her there with you. It's a lovely fragrance to associate with someone you love, and a favorite of mine, since the lily of the valley is my birth flower.

Latest posts

Back