Perfume- anything I should know?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, my mom really, really like some of the FOs I've aquired, and wanted to know if she could wear it. Well luckily, WSP FOs have handy-dandy percentage rates for all things including perfume, and WSP also sells a perfume carrier oil base. So, near as I can tell, this looks like a slam-dunk measure, mix, & use.
I've tried searching for info, but I'm not looking to make my own base from scratch if I don't have to, and I'm certainly not trying to craft my own fragrance. Anything I'm missing?

I've never made a perfume oil (I have bought a scent or two made as a perfume oil from Save on Scents). Maybe just stick to using oils that aren't popular allergens (lacking words here). Also, keep some ground coffee on hand, if it works for you.

I've never made a perfume oil (I have bought a scent or two made as a perfume oil from Save on Scents). Maybe just stick to using oils that aren't popular allergens (lacking words here). Also, keep some ground coffee on hand, if it works for you.
I'm not sure I understand your response.
I referring to these bases:
https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/body-splash.aspxhttps://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/luxury-moisturizing-mist-II-mod.aspxThe FOs I use in soaps that I would consider for this project are rated for soaps, lotions, perfumes, bath bombs, etc., so I'm not worried that they're not skin-safe in the right dosage.
And yes, I'm familiar with coffee for clearing the nostrils. I imagine once I've measured I would dump the ingredients either into a separate bottle or the proper dispenser and shake to incorporate, so I shouldn't be marinading my nostrils in esters for too long. This would be a tiny batch at a time for personal use, not a commercial venture.
ETA: I'm flexible if someone knows if a better base.
I'm trying to find out if there's something I need to do with it before mixing it with a FO that the info blurb assumes I know.

Last edited:
Are you looking to a perfume oil, or a more traditional spray?Perfume oil is easy. You don't really need a special base, a neutral oil carrier, like fractionated coconut oil will work well. Mix the two and pour into a glass vial with a roll top.

For a spray, you can add it to alcohol (perferably perfumer's alcohol but I have heard - but not tried myself- that everclear will work in a pinch) but you'd have to play with ratios to prevent it from being too harsh.

I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the CC/WSP base products but it depends on what your mom wants/likes in a base. If she wants something that's kind of lotion-y or behaves like a hydrosol/splash, the bases might be better.

Are you looking to a perfume oil, or a more traditional spray?Perfume oil is easy. You don't really need a special base, a neutral oil carrier, like fractionated coconut oil will work well. Mix the two and pour into a glass vial with a roll top.

For a spray, you can add it to alcohol (perferably perfumer's alcohol but I have heard - but not tried myself- that everclear will work in a pinch) but you'd have to play with ratios to prevent it from being too harsh.

I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the CC/WSP base products but it depends on what your mom wants/likes in a base. If she wants something that's kind of lotion-y or behaves like a hydrosol/splash, the bases might be better.
Thank you! My understanding was she wanted a spray, but I'll look around and see what my options are.

Thank you! My understanding was she wanted a spray, but I'll look around and see what my options are.
You could certainly do an "eau de parfum" spray with just alcohol.

I think right now you're going to have a harder time finding spray bottles/tops. heh. With Covid, there's been a shortage and supply problems with spray tops and bottles.

I was thinking of base oils not product bases. I'm actually not sure if I have worked with bases before (I wish I could remember). WSP should have resources to help you figure this out as far as FOs go but for blending, that could take some time and cotton balls. You'd definitely want to make detailed notes of top, middle, and base notes from each of your FOs that you plan on using.

This is about scent categories and this is about perfume vs. eau de toilet. The closest I've done to what you're planning was make a perfume spray. I used Everclear for that, which will give a much cleaner smell and be self preserving.

I was thinking of base oils not product bases. I'm actually not sure if I have worked with bases before (I wish I could remember). WSP should have resources to help you figure this out as far as FOs go but for blending, that could take some time and cotton balls. You'd definitely want to make detailed notes of top, middle, and base notes from each of your FOs that you plan on using.

This is about scent categories and this is about perfume vs. eau de toilet. The closest I've done to what you're planning was make a perfume spray. I used Everclear for that, which will give a much cleaner smell and be self preserving.
Thank you, that was extremely informative. It's probable I'm actually looking to make an eau de toilette then.

I make and sell perfume oils in roll-on bottles. I mix the FO with Fractionated Coconut Oil. I sell quite a lot of them. I also have some perfumers alcohol that I want to play with for personal perfumes but haven't had the time.

Last edited:
I make perfume sprays for myself with my FOs and Everclear. I love it better than anything else because it mixes 100% with my FOs without any separation issues, and it doesn't leave behind an alcohol smell. I should mention I don't sell.

IrishLass :)

I make perfume sprays for myself with my FOs and Everclear. I love it better than anything else because it mixes 100% with my FOs without any separation issues, and it doesn't leave behind an alcohol smell. I should mention I don't sell.

IrishLass :)
Thank you! I'm not looking to sell, either. This is all just for personal use. Mom was lamenting not having any really good perfumes and wondering if it was possible to make FOs wearable, so she's happy to hear the answer is yes. I'm soaping small-scale, so I tend to buy sample size of relatively expensive FOs. That's usually enough FO for a loaf, maybe some body butter, perhaps a trial batch or two, just depending on the usage rate.

Nope, you're not missing anything! However, the oils can go bad after a few years. You can combat this by using an oil rich in vitamin E, such as jojoba oil. You can also use everclear as a base if you don't plan on selling it. About 15% fragrance in alcohol should do the trick.

I've also used everclear and it works nicely. I've also used cyclomethicone for dry oil roll on perfume. When I made body sprays I purchased a base from the candle makers store. It worked well. It's been years since I've purchased any so I don't know if they still carry it.

Back