Perfectly rectangular bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RainyDayRose

Reaction score
In some cases it is important to me to smooth the top of my cut bars to get a perfectly rectangular bar of soap. What is the best way to get uniform sizes and clean edges?

A planer would be an option - it shaves off a thin layer of soap.

As a note to others in general, I was looking at making a new mould where the loaves would be vertical and then later split up and then sliced, but then feedback suggested that people love the handmade look of the tops so I have gone to making a larger slab mould - completely regular looking bars aren't for everyone.

A multi bar cutter, like the Tank would assure even thickness, and your mold should provide even bottoms and sides. If you pour at emulsion, or thin trace, your tops should be pretty flat and straight too.

Aside from embracing the wonkiness (my mantra), you can plane them down or buy a mold like http://www.brambleberry.com/12-Cavity-Rectangle-Silicone-Mold-P5536.aspx where the bottom of the mold becomes your top. Pour at a light trace to make perfectly smooth bars. The sides are slightly tapered giving you a top just a bit smaller than your bottom.
LOL, me too :D My customers love to go through the soaps on the table and find the largest bar! :clap: I do not pour at mold level and sometimes one end get more or less soap

Thanks for all the info, and especially the youtube link. I'm not especially good at embracing wonkiness, and I will think about trying to do that more. :)

I love my planer. It got a workout today smoothing my latest batch into perfect rectangles. My batter was too thick by the time I got it all poured into my slab, and the surface results were not pretty in the least, let me tell you! There pretty now, though- thanks to my planer. :)

IrishLass :)

I prefer rectangular bars, with smooth sides, but I see the beauty in the frufru tops. I just happen to like the look of the clean, shiny, symmetrical rectangular with beveled edges. I've got some that are smooth, and some that are textured tops, and my friends/testers have their personal preferences too. There's beauty in both :)

Latest posts

Back