Perfect mold dilemma

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My favorite soap size is 3.25 inches high (or more), 2.5 inches across, and inch or more thick.
Tall and Skinny molds are too narrow.
I can't properly line a wooden mold; I'm getting hourglass shaped bars!
I want silicone liners in that size, but can't find them.

Is there somebody who make custom size silicon molds?

I didn't see anyone on Etsy who makes them to order, but it seems like there must be someone out there who does. I have seen some YT videos by Dean Wilson and others about making your own silicone mold with poster board and silicone mix.

Also, if you have a wood mold that is the size you like (or you have one made), you can easily create reusable mold liners from teflon dehydrator sheets. Simply cut the sheets into pieces that fit on the bottom and sides of the mold. They peel away so easily from the soap and then are wiped clean for the next use. I had some that came with a wooden slab mold, and they were sanity savers for me, since I also am no good with mold lining. It's about $15 for a pack of those on Amazon.

Not sure if either of those ideas is feasible for you; if not, hopefully someone comes up with something for you!

I didn't see anyone on Etsy who makes them to order, but it seems like there must be someone out there who does. I have seen some YT videos by Dean Wilson and others about making your own silicone mold with poster board and silicone mix.

Also, if you have a wood mold that is the size you like (or you have one made), you can easily create reusable mold liners from teflon dehydrator sheets. Simply cut the sheets into pieces that fit on the bottom and sides of the mold. They peel away so easily from the soap and then are wiped clean for the next use. I had some that came with a wooden slab mold, and they were sanity savers for me, since I also am no good with mold lining. It's about $15 for a pack of those on Amazon.

Not sure if either of those ideas is feasible for you; if not, hopefully someone comes up with something for you!

I'm another one who can't line a mold. I was determined to make it work but I've wasted 2 rolls of paper and I can't get anywhere near consistent results. I use Misschief's method too - made folding templates - and still have trouble. Last week I couldn't even get the folded paper to fit into the mold! It's hard enough to get the kitchen to myself to make soap without spending an hour fighting with lining.

So - how are the Teflon sheets different from freezer paper? Looks like you still have to measure and fold.

You do have to measure, but no folding. You actually cut the sheets with a straight edge and a box cutter/ utility knife (or a rolling cutter like they use in sewing).

Rather than trying to explain it, here is a YT video of Ione Eve cutting silicone sheets, which can be used for mold liners. if you prefer those to the teflon sheets. The teflon is less expensive but has a very slight weave pattern to it, which isn't present if you use the silicone sheets to create your liner. And she does two layers, which I don't find necessary.

Here is another YT video of someone making her own silicone liner.

Nurture soaps larger (I thinks it’s over 4 capacity), tall and skinny liner measures 2.5 wide. (Their smaller one is narrower). It is taller than your measurement but you don’t have to fill it all the way up. I didn’t fill it up when I made a fall soap. If you want to see it at work, I used it in this soap below:

Latest posts

Back