Peppermint Swirl!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tisci

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Been awhile since I posted a pic, I mostly lurk & try to soak up as much advice as possible. A friend asked me to make her some peppermint soap, so that's what I did this past weekend. I'm really happy with the result.

562181_10150863435860348_594350347_11914219_1122189148_a.jpg

Thanks!!

Hazel, yes, I used Peppermint from Nature's Garden. The uncolored portion has the fo in it, the pink is unscented. I put it in at the very end right before I swirled in case it accelerated, I've had some issues w/acceleration & ricing.

So you didn't have a problem with acceleration? Does it smell like peppermint candy or more like the EO? I hope you don't mind me asking but I love the scent of peppermint EO. I think it's too expensive to use in soap so it would be nice to find a FO.

It didn't accelerate on me at all. To me, it just smells like strong peppermint. I used 1oz for 32oz of oil. I've never smelled a peppermint eo, only candy & taffy. I'm guessing it smells just like those & not an eo. I will try to smell an eo sometime soon & then pop back on here to let you know.

tisci said:
It didn't accelerate on me at all. To me, it just smells like strong peppermint. I used 1oz for 32oz of oil. I've never smelled a peppermint eo, only candy & taffy. I'm guessing it smells just like those & not an eo. I will try to smell an eo sometime soon & then pop back on here to let you know.

Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate it. I just went and checked this FO on NG. The description states it is a true peppermint scent. I think I'll put this on my wish list and give it a try (like I really need more FOs :roll: ) I made some air fresheners with a blend of lavender FO and peppermint EO and loved the scent. I'd like to try a batch of soap with the same scent. The lavender FO I got from Peak worked well in CP - scent stayed true and didn't accelerate. Of course, I don't need more soap right now, either. I've got sooo much sitting around right now. :lol:

Peppermint EO is expensive, but I've found that a very little goes a long way. I use 0.25oz for 21oz of oils, and it's very strong. It'll leech the smell into every other bar in a box of unwrapped soap and overpower the other scents (even my strongest scents!)

ETA: Peppermint costs about the same as the fragrance oils... Not by ounce, but by usage. Some fragrance oils are slightly cheaper by usage (lavender, White Tea and Ginger from BB, Clean Cotton from CS, etc), but still, in the long scheme of things, it's competative with fragrance oils.

I didn't think about the amount I use but I'm lazy. I've found I've had problems with the EOs lasting so I prefer to HP the batches. I don't like dragging out the crock pot plus I have to do a larger than usual batch for the size of it. I prefer only making 20 oz to 32 oz batches. Hmm...although I suppose I could make a batch in my double boiler.

Those look like peppermint bark! I want to eat one! I love peppermint!

I made it while I was housesitting & the kitchen smelled like peppermint for two days, made me want candy the whole time.

Back