Peppermint essential oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMack

Reaction score
I’ve noticed from this forum that many soapers complain that peppermint oil fragrance fades fast. I would love to make a peppermint soap with either lavender or lemongrass essential oils and wonder if anyone has managed to get the peppermint to stick and if so how did they do it? I’m looking at CP only

thank you!

The thread title states, "Peppermint Essential Oil." But, you mention peppermint FO in the body of your post. I have not tried peppermint FO, but have not had any trouble with peppermint EO fading. I do mix it with other EOs or with coconut FO.

The thread title states, "Peppermint Essential Oil." But, you mention peppermint FO in the body of your post. I have not tried peppermint FO, but have not had any trouble with peppermint EO fading. I do mix it with other EOs or with coconut FO.
Sorry I meant the fragrance from the essential oil. I’ve not ventured in fragrance oils as I read that alters your water calculation or something and I’m only just starting out

I’ve not had a problem with peppermint EO either. I do a blend of Peppermint, lavender and tea tree.
Oh that sounds nice, I have all those as well

I use peppermint EO and it does not fade even though I use it at very low levels. I have some bars left that were made 2 years ago and they still smell minty.

Although the "tingling" sounds like a good thing it can be very painful for some people. I would not recommend a straight peppermint because of it. I also use spearmint in my blends if I want more Mint rather than increase the peppermint EO. Spearmint doesn't tingle but will fade some and adds a sweeter chewing gum mint scent to the blend. I like a blend with lemongrass, a bit of cedarwood, peppermint & spearmint.

except tingling. does anyone know if a blend of peppermint /spearmint can have a positive effect on the skin?
I think you may be on to something. I can't say for sure, but I use it in my best-selling (lye-based) Liquid Hair and Body Shampoo and it seems to stimulate the scalp as well as rinsing squeaky clean.

I use MMS Fragrance Calc for the amount to add.

:secret:In all the places....
Imma just gonna put this out there…peppermint altoids.

Anywhooooo back to the topic. I have tried two or three peppermint fo for christmas soaps (mind you i only have one xmas season under my belt as far as soap making goes). They all contained vanilla, which discolors, so in my experience I do not like the fo because of discoloration.

I have bars with peppermint/lavender EO that i made a year ago and they still smell wonderful. I am gonna stick with the EO. Peppermint is fairly cheap as far as essential oils go…

why do you recommend blending peppermint with an oil with a higher boiling/flash point?

Because many people think the flash point temperature is related to how fast the fragrance evaporates. In other words, a scent with a lower flash point supposedly will evaporate a lot faster.

The vapor pressure is the property that does predict a chemical's tendency to evaporate quickly or slowly. High vapor pressure = fast evaporation.

Unfortunately, vapor pressure info (and boiling point info) for fragrances is often hard to find. Flash point temperatures are easy to find, however, because sellers have to know the F.P. temps to ship these chemicals safely.

Awhile back, I compared the flash point temperatures and vapor pressures of 55 fragrance oils to see for myself whether there was a useful relationship between F.P. and vapor pressure or not. The fragrance oils had a wide range in the flash point temperatures (from about 130 F to over 200 F), but there were only small differences in their vapor pressures. In other words, a fragrance that has a high flash point temperature doesn't evaporate any much faster or slower than one with a low F.P.

Another tidbit that I thought was interesting is all of these fragrances have vapor pressures that are at least 20 times lower than water and 35 times lower than ethyl alcohol (ethanol, grain alcohol). I (and I'm sure others) have the perception that fragrances evaporate really fast ... but they really don't.

Last edited:
Back