Peppermint EO in a loaf question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rparrny

Reaction score
A friend requested a peppermint soap for the holidays. I know it can be irritating to the skin. My loaves are usually 1.8 pounds. Anyone with experience willing to guide me on amounts? Soap is a basic OO, CO, Shea...nothing fancy.

Ok checking my notes on my favorite minty salt soap, I used 110 ml total in a 5.5 lb total weight batch (3.5 lbs of oils) BUT the peppermint was only 20 ml of that 110 ml
here's the blend so it makes more sense:

15 Fir
10 Rosemary
30 Eucalyptus
20 peppermint
35 spearmint
110 ml total

I find this amount of minty goodness refreshing and not at all irritating anywhere. But I felt it could be upped a bit so my latest batch has a total of 150 ml of blended EO's in the same proportions, but it hasn't finished curing so I can't report on it yet.

Edit to add: Its 4 weeks old tomorrow - so I just washed my hands and face with it, and it's nice. This ones definitely coming across the equator with me on my shipride in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
I usually calculate using the safe usage rates (5% in this case) or take a short cut with brambleberry's fragrance calculator since its got all the math built into it already for that. It's suggesting between .79oz and 1.44oz

although if you're really worried about it theres also peppermint fragrance oils that dont have the same problem :)

I usually calculate using the safe usage rates (5% in this case) or take a short cut with brambleberry's fragrance calculator since its got all the math built into it already for that. It's suggesting between .79oz and 1.44oz

although if you're really worried about it theres also peppermint fragrance oils that dont have the same problem :)
Great info ty, I have the EO in the house so I'm hesitant to spend any on the FO...less money to spend on all my other goodies...:p

I discovered that I need to use 0.25 oz or less PPO for my own comfort. Peppermint will.......cause irritation on tender tissues......
Good to know,ty.
Will it still retain scent after cure?

Latest posts

Back