Pearling agent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisySoap

Reaction score
Hello fellow soap makers,
I am wondering what I can use to give my liquid soap pearl effect and where should I buy it from? I've been looking for Glycol disparate, So far I wasn't able to find any supplier that has any. Thanks

Surprisingly, lard soap is opaque with a pearlescent look, although it does clear in about 6 months. At least that's been my experience. :) Try 50/50 lard and PKO -- it's our family & friends favorite.

You can get pearly effects by adding stearic acid. Search for Irish Lass's creamy coco shea tutorial.

Surprisingly, lard soap is opaque with a pearlescent look, although it does clear in about 6 months. At least that's been my experience. :) Try 50/50 lard and PKO -- it's our family & friends favorite.

Thanks for the advice,
So you mean a soap with 50% lard and 50% pko? Is it good for a hand soap? I'm asking cause I'm very new to liquid soap making.

Thanks for the advice,
So you mean a soap with 50% lard and 50% pko? Is it good for a hand soap? I'm asking cause I'm very new to liquid soap making.
You're very welcome, Daisy. I call it "HOG WASH" Hair & Body Shampoo because it's good all over. Good lather and rinses clean. For hand soap, we use it in a foamer. I have one at every sink, Kitchen & Baths.

Just a head's up since you are a beginner -- there are about as many different ways to make Liquid Soap as there are LS'ers! LOL To get a good grounding in the method, here's a link to Alaiyna B's Blogspot.

Basic Liquid Soap Making & Information

There are a LOT of Liquid Soap recipes around. Most of them are large batches. No matter what recipe you try, start with small batches. Resize the batch to 12 oz oils = 16 oz. paste. You can then divide that up into four 4 oz. portions to play with to determine the optimum amount of dilution water, colorant, fragrance, etc. needed.

When using SoapCalc, be sure to choose "KOH". (Seems obvious, but it's easy to forget. 🤪 )
Under the "Water" heading, choose Water : Lye Ratio and type in 3:1.
For Super Fat, I choose 0% because I want all my fats/oils fully saponified. Some LS'ers use 3-4% SF which is a matter of preference. It eliminates the need to neutralize excess lye.
Leave Fragrance blank until after the batch is diluted. Here's how it looks.
Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 2.56.14 PM.png

Hope this helps! HAPPY LS-ING!

You're very welcome, Daisy. I call it "HOG WASH" Hair & Body Shampoo because it's good all over. Good lather and rinses clean. For hand soap, we use it in a foamer. I have one at every sink, Kitchen & Baths.

Just a head's up since you are a beginner -- there are about as many different ways to make Liquid Soap as there are LS'ers! LOL To get a good grounding in the method, here's a link to Alaiyna B's Blogspot.

There are a LOT of Liquid Soap recipes around. Most of them are large batches. No matter what recipe you try, start with small batches. Resize the batch to 12 oz oils = 16 oz. paste. You can then divide that up into four 4 oz. portions to play with to determine the optimum amount of dilution water, colorant, fragrance, etc. needed.

When using SoapCalc, be sure to choose "KOH". (Seems obvious, but it's easy to forget. 🤪 )
For Super Fat, I choose 0% because I want all my fats/oils fully saponified. Some LS'ers use 3-4% SF which is a matter of preference. It eliminates the need to neutralize excess lye.
View attachment 45682

Thanks for the all the detailed information. They're very helpful. 🌷🌷

View attachment 45682

How does this liquid soap smell of lard?

Where is the best place to purchase the palm kernel oil?
Be sure to buy the flakes -- much easier to use. ;)
SoapersChoice.com Palm Kernel Flakes, 8 lbs.

I buy all my oils/butters/fats and even Ewax and other cosmetic oils for lotion-making from Soapers Choice, outside of Chicago. It's a very good company to do business with. They have been around ever since I first started soaping in 2004. To get the best shipping price, order more than one oil at a time. Pomace Olive Oil is a good choice to add to your order because few suppliers carry it and it has a long shelf life. JMHO, it's the best OO for soap making. :thumbs:

ETA: They also sell lard and beef tallow if you're interested in soaping those fats.

Latest posts

Back