peanut butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry if this sounds ignorant but why did you think you could make a 100% peanut butter soap? Peanut oil maybe but peanut butter is made from the whole peanut not just the oil so how did you calc the lye? As far as I'm concerned there's more unsaponifiables in PB than there is oil?

Why not try it? The whole peanut will have oil present as well. Much like Beldi is made from olive oil and olive paste - there are unsaponifiables in the olive paste as well. Maybe that's the trick for pb soap - a certain amount of pb and peanut oil.

Why not try it? The whole peanut will have oil present as well. Much like Beldi is made from olive oil and olive paste - there are unsaponifiables in the olive paste as well. Maybe that's the trick for pb soap - a certain amount of pb and peanut oil.

But surely in PB there is a lot more unsaponifiables? I can get my head around using it as an additive maybe but I can't see how a 100% PB soap would work unless you knew exactly how much oil is present and use that for working out the lye value.

I'm all for experimenting and wouldn't discourage anyone I was just curious why someone might think it would work.

Random update on the full pb: I decided to keep it and unfolded after about fou days. I used a small bit and it did get a some bubbles. I'll test a piece at the end of May to see if it worked.

But surely in PB there is a lot more unsaponifiables? I can get my head around using it as an additive maybe but I can't see how a 100% PB soap would work unless you knew exactly how much oil is present and use that for working out the lye value.

Hmmm...using peanut oil SAP value is sort of on the right track, but the original poster have to use nutrition fact chart to figure out How much OIL / FAT is actually in the peanut butter; right? ( correct me if I'm wrong, please )
I think other than unsaponifiables there is some water content in the peanut itself... So if the calculation is based on whole can of PB weight, than maybe it will be a little bit lye heavy and need a rebatch...?

Ditto on the refined peanut oil. A friend of mine is allergic to peanuts, but is able to eat foods that were fried in refined peanut oil without any problems whatsoever. I'm not saying it will be the same benign outcome for everyone with peanut allergies (you'll definitely want to check with your doctor first), but using the refined oil works out for her without causing any issues.

IrishLass :)

ditto for sweet almond oil.

In case anyone was wondering, I made the peanut butter stout soap.

Peanut butter Stout

I found powdered peanut butter in my pantry (ingredients of peanuts, powdered sugar, and salt) and added 2Tbsp to my two pounds of batter (used a tall and skinny mold). Then I split the batter into three parts. The majority of the batter was scented with BB's oatmeal stout fragrance since it will discolor to a dark brown and I dont feel I'm advanced enough for adding stout yet. I dropped swirled in a portion of batter that was colored with titanium dioxide. I left enough batter plan to put a layer on top both for contrast and to see what would happen with just a peanut butter additive.

The final loaf is on the right of the picture. On the left is a small bit of the other two colors so I can watch all three colors change

If you can jump into using 100% PB, which I honestly can't wrap my head around, I'm fairly certain you can use beer for your lye solution. You just HAVE to reduce it or at least let it go flat, unless you was to have a "lovely" caustic volcanic eruption in your work area. Just give it a try when you're ready. You also may want to soap cool with beer, unless I'm thinking of coffee.

Random update on the full pb: I decided to keep it and unfolded after about fou days. I used a small bit and it did get a some bubbles. I'll test a piece at the end of May to see if it worked.

How were your hands after you tested the soap?

I don't think they were any dryer than using fresh soap. There was no redness or burning that would indicate a lye heavy soap.

Ok, so is it safe to assume there was no left behind residuals from the PB or even a lingering scent? I generally avoid nut oils to be conscience of peanut allergies and for the fact I would not want someone to touch my child after they wipe their hands after touching some sort of tree nut.

Since PB is high in unsaponifiables, I wouldn't using it for more than feeding my kid and maybe her dog if she visits.

Did you zap test it? Or possibly do a pH strip test on it? Since you can't be positive about the lye calculation, I would have done so prior to doing a lather test.

BTW, I applaud your courage and your creative spirit.

Ok, so is it safe to assume there was no left behind residuals from the PB or even a lingering scent?

I'm not at home right now so I can't run to double check all this.

There is a slight lingering scent. I wouldn't assume that there are no residuals just to be safe. As great as label appeal would be, I don't think this is something that should be sold for those allergy reasons.

I'm still new to soaping and am using this as a learning experience, if I can correctly balance something like 100%pb soap then I know I can eventually trust myself if I decide to sell.

Did you zap test it?

I didn't get a full zap from testing (don't have ph strips). I had a questionable tingle after testing but not enough that I'm worried. The bars did go from "gross fruitcake look" to what I'm guessing is slightly ashy, parts are turning lighter brown as it sits. I usually get at least some soda ash but not yet on such a dark colored soap.

I've just now read through this thread. Good on you!! Very interesting stuff. I eat Smucker's All Natural peanut butter. It has two ingredients, peanuts and salt. The oil separates badly from it, so I dump the entire jar into my food processor and blend the crud out of it and scrape it into a disposable food container with lid. The food processor makes the peanut butter very liquidy (highly technical term there) and I almost have to pour it onto my bread to make a sandwich. OK. The whole point of this narrative is if you should decide to try your peanut butter soap again, use a natural brand with only peanuts and salt and put it in your food processor until it is the consistency of honey. You won't have any issues with burning the pb and stick blending it will be much easier. Although, even with the pb at honey consistency, I'd probably go for 50 to 75% pb & 50 to 25% peanut oil just to make blending easier. (BTW: all this peanut butter talk had me reaching for the jar. I had to stir the oil into the pb to make it edible. Stirring is not as efficient as the food processor. Tomorrow I'll be breaking that bad boy out!)

I've just now read through this thread. Good on you!! Very interesting stuff. I eat Smucker's All Natural peanut butter. It has two ingredients, peanuts and salt. The oil separates badly from it, so I dump the entire jar into my food processor and blend the crud out of it and scrape it into a disposable food container with lid. The food processor makes the peanut butter very liquidy (highly technical term there) and I almost have to pour it onto my bread to make a sandwich. OK. The whole point of this narrative is if you should decide to try your peanut butter soap again, use a natural brand with only peanuts and salt and put it in your food processor until it is the consistency of honey. You won't have any issues with burning the pb and stick blending it will be much easier. Although, even with the pb at honey consistency, I'd probably go for 50 to 75% pb & 50 to 25% peanut oil just to make blending easier. (BTW: all this peanut butter talk had me reaching for the jar. I had to stir the oil into the pb to make it edible. Stirring is not as efficient as the food processor. Tomorrow I'll be breaking that bad boy out!)

Good to note. :)

The whole point of this narrative is if you should decide to try your peanut butter soap again, use a natural brand with only peanuts and salt and put it in your food processor until it is the consistency of honey.

Thank you for the advice. The brand I found just has peanuts in the ingredient list so I can even control the effects of salt (if it matters for this experiment).

Using the math advice from my superfatting thread: a 27% superfatting calculation on soap all by weight of the peanut butter should give me a 0% superfat based on the oil amount in peanu butter. At least that's the plan when I next have the chance to soap.

I accidentally made a very peanut-buttery soap once. I had some toasted sesame oil lying around and used it with a bit of coconut oil.

BAM!

The most peanut butter smelling soap ever! I am sure with some messing around it could make a fun soap.

I accidentally made a very peanut-buttery soap once. I had some toasted sesame oil lying around and used it with a bit of coconut oil.

BAM!

The most peanut butter smelling soap ever! I am sure with some messing around it could make a fun soap.

I love my 100% toasted sesame oil soap. The color, the natural aroma of it, although to me it just smelled like toasted sesame seeds. :) And it lathers really well, too which seems to contradict the numbers in SoapCalc. I made it when I ran a single oil soaps test on every oil I had in my kitchen. I actually have not used the regular sesame oil for soap making, so I don't know if I would like it as well. (I don't have any.)

Possible Peanuty Goodness

The top/whitish one is 100% peanut oil with a 5% SF
The middle one is 26% SF peanut butter. I estimate actual SF will be 0 or -1%
The bottom one is 40% SF peanut butter. Approximating 15% SF on that one.

As I was weighing out everything I realized that I could do the math to approximate the % of peanut oil in the peanut butter then use that as my oil weight. It felt like extra math so I used peanut butter weight with the assumed 26% solids (taken from dividing fat calories into calories).

Editing because I forgot to mention:
The peanut oil was obviously a normal soap batter, I had a med-thick trace before pouring. (Had approx an ounce or two in a separate mold)
The 26% SF was extremely crumbly cookie dough. It held its shape but almost looked more like a crumble topping for cobbler. (A ping pong ball sized amount ended up plopped on top of the remainder of the peanut oil batter)
The 40% SF was spot on for cookie dough. (No left over to add to the separate mold)

All soaps had a 30% lye concentration

Last edited:
I've made 100% peanut oil soap before, expect it to take a few days before you can unmold. I think mine was 3 or 4 days in the mold and it was still a little soft. Made a really nice soap though, I quite like peanut oil.

Ditto on the refined peanut oil. A friend of mine is allergic to peanuts, but is able to eat foods that were fried in refined peanut oil without any problems whatsoever. I'm not saying it will be the same benign outcome for everyone with peanut allergies (you'll definitely want to check with your doctor first), but using the refined oil works out for her without causing any issues.

IrishLass :)

This is not true for some people. I have a friend who has to be very very particular about nut allergies including the cooking oil. It is terrifying watching her reactions if she accidentally ingests some.

OP is that a metal mold you are using for your soap?

Last edited:
Back