peanut butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
I was exceptionally overtired this morning and stayed up way too late. Somehow this gave me the inspiration for a peanut butter stout soap, I dont know why.

I dont think I'll make a peanut butter stout soap but I do have some time off next week that I was planning on using to soap, at base I'd imagine using peanut butter as an additive at trace. Drawing on those overtired ideas I almost want to add peanut butter as % of oils. If I did, would I just use peanut oil in soap calc or how would I calculate the SAP value by hand?

You wouldn't use peanut butter as a % of the oils, it has too many solids. I would only use 1 tsp PPO and mix it really, really well into the oils before the lye.
Not quite sure why you would want to use it in soap though, sounds kind of icky to me. Better off to use refined peanut oil, at least its safe people with peanut allergies.

I've always wanted to try this:
http://millersoap.com/soapanimal.html#BitO'Honey

I would think you'd need to blend the peanut butter with some oil and/or warm it up, because peanut butter is so thick it would be hard to blend it into the soap. My choice would be to add it with the oils and get it blended in well before adding the lye water.

I made a chocolate peanut butter soap last year for my bf. He loved it! Also having recently discovered an amazing nano-brewery that makes a pb stout... I say go for it! ETA: and then send me some ;)

Here's how I did my PB: I added it at trace after warming it up in the microwave. I only made a 1lb batch of soap that I split between chocolate and PB, and I used 1 oz (weight) PB. It accelerated trace like crazy so be prepared to plop and glop if your recipe is touchy. Mine is very touchy when using alternatives such as coconut milk, beer, and apparently PB. I used Smart Balance brand as it had the least amount of additives in their label.

If I did this again I would be curious to try PB powder (but it's expensive).

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a recipe on soapnuts that uses 15oz oils and 3Tbs peanut butter, heated with a little of the oil and added at trace. I have seen another recipe that uses 3/4 cup melted creamy peanut butter to 5 lbs of oil

You wouldn't use peanut butter as a % of the oils, it has too many solids. I would only use 1 tsp PPO and mix it really, really well into the oils before the lye.
Not quite sure why you would want to use it in soap though, sounds kind of icky to me. Better off to use refined peanut oil, at least its safe people with peanut allergies.

Say what?!

Ditto on the refined peanut oil. A friend of mine is allergic to peanuts, but is able to eat foods that were fried in refined peanut oil without any problems whatsoever. I'm not saying it will be the same benign outcome for everyone with peanut allergies (you'll definitely want to check with your doctor first), but using the refined oil works out for her without causing any issues.

IrishLass :)

In case anyone was wondering, I made the peanut butter stout soap.

Peanut butter Stout

I found powdered peanut butter in my pantry (ingredients of peanuts, powdered sugar, and salt) and added 2Tbsp to my two pounds of batter (used a tall and skinny mold). Then I split the batter into three parts. The majority of the batter was scented with BB's oatmeal stout fragrance since it will discolor to a dark brown and I dont feel I'm advanced enough for adding stout yet. I dropped swirled in a portion of batter that was colored with titanium dioxide. I left enough batter plan to put a layer on top both for contrast and to see what would happen with just a peanut butter additive.

The final loaf is on the right of the picture. On the left is a small bit of the other two colors so I can watch all three colors change

I found powdered peanut butter in my pantry (ingredients of peanuts, powdered sugar, and salt) and added 2Tbsp to my two pounds of batter (used a tall and skinny mold). Then I split the batter into three parts. The majority of the batter was scented with BB's oatmeal stout fragrance since it will discolor to a dark brown and I dont feel I'm advanced enough for adding stout yet. I dropped swirled in a portion of batter that was colored with titanium dioxide. I left enough batter plan to put a layer on top both for contrast and to see what would happen with just a peanut butter additive.

The final loaf is on the right of the picture. On the left is a small bit of the other two colors so I can watch all three colors change

Thanks for the update! Oooohhh! I have some oatmeal stout FO. Now I want to do this too... I bet it's delicious :)

I recently had a chocolate peanut butter stout at a micro brewery and it was the most amazing stout I've ever had. Just saying.

You go guy!! Rock that peanut butter. I used the cheapest stuff I could find at 9% of oils with other things. Best stuff ever!

So far it seems like the peanut butter isnt effecting anything. The small piece I sampled lathered like a castille. I'm not noticing a peanut buttery smell, but I did use a stronger fo. It doesnt even seem to be discoloring the plain soap, I expected a bit of yellowing.

I might try using real peanut butter this week if I can find one without a bunch of extra oils in it. The only creamy peanut butter I have has palm oil as the second ingredient (I think a total of ten ingredients). The powdered stuff only had three ingredients: peanuts, sugar, and salt

For the peanut-butter at 9%, I just used the SAP value of peanut oil, 0.138. There was palm oil (SAP value 0.142) and diglycerides also in that peanut-butter (I looked at the palm & diglycerides as an extra bonus to the soap formula). I figured if one rounds the sap to 2 significant figures, the average value is 0.14, pretty close to one another, so I don't fuss about SAP values very much. I use such a high lye discount that the difference in SAP values of the two oils (peanut & palm) doesn't affect the soap significantly. Yes, real peanut butter does have an unpleasant odor, at least at the 9% that I used. I read that it's the protein hydrolysis of the peanuts during saponification. I used EO Atlas Cedarwood to help "cover" the scent, but it still sneaks through. A fun little soap! A little smelly, but what's perfect, anyway!?

I made 100% peanut butter soap today. I'm pretty sure it's a fail but I'm going to pretend it's not for a few days.

Recipe: (my actual measurments)
15.59oz peanut butter
5.48oz water
1.98oz NaOH
1tsp sodium lactate

I used a jar of the super natural stuff that only has one ingredient on the label then used peanut oil on standard soapcalc settings. Actual water was off by maybe 1/4oz and NaOH was off by a little less.

Order of Operations:
Peanut butter onto stove to melt down a bit while I double checked lye calculation. While I was mixing the lye I heard a pop and smelled burnt popcorn. I had left the peanut butter a little too long, little bit of burnt. Peanut butter doesnt stick blend very well.
I probably should have waited for my lye to cool but figured f-it. The lye peanut butter combo siezed under the blender but otherwise didnt seem to mix.
After mixing around the best I could there was a dark fudgy/siezed/pastey mass in brown water. I would say it was half mass to water. I did mold it and have my fingers crossed that the soaping fairy will visit tonight and wave her want but I know better. I'm debating between tossing it all and just pouring off the water part to see if the siezed bit will cure into something.

So peanut butter is maybe a spoonful or two at trace.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this sounds ignorant but why did you think you could make a 100% peanut butter soap? Peanut oil maybe but peanut butter is made from the whole peanut not just the oil so how did you calc the lye? As far as I'm concerned there's more unsaponifiables in PB than there is oil?

I just wanted to try it. Part of the decision came from my original question if it would be possible to use peanut butter as a percent of oil. Another part of the decision was not wanting to wait for a cure time since the only current soap I have is Castile and I wanted to do a direct comparison (like I set up with the powdered test). The last part was just plain not thinking it through. I calculated 15.5oz of peanut oil to figure out my lye and the whole "hindsight is 20/20" did catch up to me pretty quick.

Latest posts

Back