peanut butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP is that a metal mold you are using for your soap?

No, I don't have any metal molds. The powdered experiment was in an 8" crafters choice silicone mold and the bars are in the brambleberry oval silicone mold. The spare mold I used is a 1# silicone. I'd like to branch out to wooden molds but don't have the cash yet.

I've made 100% peanut oil soap before, expect it to take a few days before you can unmold.

The mold pulls away from the sides already and I usually have the opposite problem. Right now the plan is to leave them in till Monday if I can. I don't need pretty bars, but it'd be nice

Last edited by a moderator:
Necro- threading myself with an update.

The first peanut butter soap I made with no account for super fat or percentage on unsopanificables. I think I mathed that it has a -20% superfat or something. I can definately say it's soap. It has a decent cleansing feel (not overly drying and no sign of it still being lye heavy) and it makes for a very hard bar as far as I can tell. Very sparse lather but I can't quite tell if it's the bar shape or if it's the soap itsself, there are very crisp corners that seem to scrape away any lather I manage to get. The bar collected a lotiony "slime" but again, I cant quite tell if it's bar shape or the soap at the moment. My hands were also left the faintest whiff of peanut butter, definately not the soap if you're going to with someone who has allergies.

Little over a week left for the bars where I actually attempted math. Lots of soa ash going on with the bars I tried to calculate a 0% superfat. I think the plain peanut oil bars has one developing DOS which I'm concerned about (my first batch with DOS)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this is a necro post - you stated you would follow-up. Yea, the one bar looks like DOS, but hey - wonderful experiment.

I use the peanut oil, powder, and butter in my recipe. It all blends in quite well without any additional prep. I add it all in at trace. I actually have 2 recipes. One calls for 1 Tbls. butter and 2 Tbls. powder and comes out a delightful peanut butter color. The other I put a 1/4 of a cup peanut butter, peanut oil and 1 Tbls. powder and this gels nicely and is a rich brown. Both make a nice hard bar and both smell peanutty. Using just peanut oil is just fine but it doesn't smell like peanut butter. If you do that I would add some peanut butter f.o. The soap is not as creamy a lather with just peanut oil either. Like all butters, they add richness.

Thanks for sharing - I was hoping to try something like a Reese's peanut butter cup in a cupcake mold, half full, then broken in half for a small guest soap. Knowing the behavior of the peanut butter really helps (a no....) I may try with just a choc & PB FO now.

Back