Peaky Blinders

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know I mentioned this show once before on the "What's everyone watching" thread, but I just finished watching season three and was absolutely dumbfounded. This is by far the most amazing show on Netflix. Cillian Murphy and the rest of the cast are absolutely brilliant. And he is definitely easy on the eyes. VERY easy on the eyes. One of the things I love about the show, is the fictionalized account of actual gangs in Birmingham, England in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I'm a huge fan of historical fiction, murder, mystery, espionage and suspense books. This show has it all. Now I have to wait a very long while for the fourth series. This one was just put on Netflix May 31st. It's going to be a very long year. I've already watched the latest season of Happy Valley. I'm off to Hinterland, I guess.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/truth-behind-peaky-blinders-no-7938754

Both my parents were born in Birmingham and speak with brummie accents. I grew up in that area as a child so this show holds a special place in my heart :)

The BBC make some awesome productions if you are looking for more stuff to watch. People wrote them off as only making stuff like downton abbey, which personally isn't my thing. But there are some amazing gritty dramas and loads of other brilliant original content.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on this show Teresa! DH and I just finished watching the Longmire series and wondering what to see next. I'll be looking for Peaky Blinders tonight!

Until I clicked on the link you supplied, I had never even heard of them. Sounds interesting. I'm a sucker for historical literature- mainly the non-fiction kind- but I do enjoy a good fictionalized account if it is well researched.

IrishLass :)

Both my parents were born in Birmingham and speak with brummie accents. I grew up in that area as a child so this show holds a special place in my heart :)

The BBC make some awesome productions if you are looking for more stuff to watch. People wrote them off as only making stuff like downton abbey, which personally isn't my thing. But there are some amazing gritty dramas and loads of other brilliant original content.

BBC holds a special place in my heart. I swear I was born on the wrong side of the pond. I loved West Enders when I was young and the show with Hyacinth Bucket ("Boo-kay") and her long-suffering husband. I cannot remember the name of it right now because my mother and I always called it the "Aunt Eileen Show." My Aunt Eileen was Hyacinth to a "T" the ultimate in pretentiousness. (My favorite episode was when they "test drove" the Rolls Royce.) I watch more British TV than I do any American stuff. To me, the British TV tends to be a bit more subtle in effects and settings, relying more on the writing and acting than on any production trickery and "wow" factors. But I may just be anti-American when it comes to entertainment.

ETA: No, I haven't seen Tunnel. I'll look for it. I've also got a subscription to Acorn TV on Amazon Prime. That's all British TV all the time. If it's not on Netflix, it might be there. I've discovered y'all have programing on Netflix that we don't. Which is really annoying because I really like Law & Order: UK, but it's not available here anymore. I got hooked on it a few years ago via Netflix or Amazon Prime (forget which one) and then it disappeared. I might have to break down and buy if I can find it. I haven't looked lately. Every time I searched, all I got was Law & Order: SVU or other versions of Law & Order. Vincent D'Onofrio, from Criminal Intent, gets on my very last nerve. I couldn't stand that show because of his character.

Last edited:
Until I clicked on the link you supplied, I had never even heard of them. Sounds interesting. I'm a sucker for historical literature- mainly the non-fiction kind- but I do enjoy a good fictionalized account if it is well researched.

It's bloody and graphic with lots of eff words thrown about for no particular reason. If you watch it, please let me know how you like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
TeresaT said:
and the show with Hyacinth Bucket ("Boo-kay") and her long-suffering husband. I cannot remember the name of it right now because my mother and I always called it the "Aunt Eileen Show." My Aunt Eileen was Hyacinth to a "T" the ultimate in pretentiousness.

Keeping Up Appearances. I love that show, too- I think it's hilarious. I can relate to so much of it because of the 'Hyacinth' and 'Richard' we had in our own family. I felt so sorry for our 'Richard'. He had to deal with a lot of pretentious silliness, but was every bit of a long-suffering gentleman about it as the Richard in the show, although ours had more backbone in him. Once he put his foot down, it stayed down, and it used to make our 'Hyacinth' so mad. lol

I love a lot of the British imports we've been able to get here. One of my all-time faves was/is Fawlty Towers with John Cleese. We ended up buying that on DVD. It resonates perfectly with our particular senses of humor. Right now, we're knee-deep into the newer generations of Dr. Who. Our son got hooked and has kept up with buying each season on DVD, and now hubby and I are hooked. He also got us hooked on Sherlock as well.

Can you get black books on Netflix? It's one of my favourite comedies of all time, I own the dvd's and I rarely ever watch to shows more than once. It is dark sarcastic British humour and it still makes me laugh even though I have seen it a ton of times.

Yes! That's it. "Keeping up Appearances." That show was my family with British accents. I think every family could relate to it in some fashion or another. "As Time Goes By" with Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer was another show I really enjoyed. I think Judi Dench is just the bees knees. There was also a show from the 70's that we used to watch when I was a kid that was set in a department store. There was an older woman that had a cat and was always referring to her "*****." Then of course there was the Benny Hill Show and the Monty Python Show. Both of those are classics and hilarious and so unbelievably politically incorrect. If they were on mainstream TV today, well they wouldn't be. They just wouldn't be. Ha! Fun memories.

Yes! That's it. "Keeping up Appearances." That show was my family with British accents. I think every family could relate to it in some fashion or another. "As Time Goes By" with Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer was another show I really enjoyed. I think Judi Dench is just the bees knees. There was also a show from the 70's that we used to watch when I was a kid that was set in a department store. There was an older woman that had a cat and was always referring to her "*****." Then of course there was the Benny Hill Show and the Monty Python Show. Both of those are classics and hilarious and so unbelievably politically incorrect. If they were on mainstream TV today, well they wouldn't be. They just wouldn't be. Ha! Fun memories.

I think you've just summed up my childhood TV. It was great! I think the one with the cat is 'Are You Being Served'. Have you heard of the Carry On films? More political incorrectness(if there is such a word!), but great fun!

I'd definetely watch the tunnel if you can find it. Saponista is right, it's quite dark and intense. It's not fast moving and it shouldn't work, but it just does!!

Last edited:
I think you've just summed up my childhood TV. It was great! I think the one with the cat is 'Are You Being Served'. Have you heard of the Carry On films? More political incorrectness(if there is such a word!), but great fun!

I'd definetely watch the tunnel if you can find it. Saponista is right, it's quite dark and intense. It's not fast moving and it shouldn't work, but it just does!!

"Are You Being Served" Yes! That is it. Hilarious stuff.

"Cary On" films? Nope. Never heard of them. Do tell... I might have to search for those, too.

"Are You Being Served" Yes! That is it. Hilarious stuff.

"Cary On" films? Nope. Never heard of them. Do tell... I might have to search for those, too.

The Carry On films were cheap budget films all about innuendo and the sending-up of British institutions and customs. They were probably appalling, but hilariously inappropriate! The critics hated them and everyone else loved them. The funniest ones I remember were Carry on camping, and Carry on Doctors (I was a kid at the time!). They're actually remaking them again now!

Back