Paul's Wal-Mart Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
deleted. My own recipe will forever remain a mystery to those who didn't read it, I guess. Sorry about that! :lol:

Barb said:
super wal*marts carry the coconut oil ( small white canister, top shelf in the cooking oil section)

i just priced this it is up to 4.62 for 31 oz.

That's a GREAT price!! I can find Spectrum brand CO, in the health food section of our grocery store -- 16 oz. for $6.95 :shock:

Got to go check our Wal*Mart!!!

Thanks for this tip!!!

:x I just stopped at our WalMart last night and found that the CO had jumped clear to $6.65 for the 2 lb container!! That's almost double what I was paying there at Christmas. Yikes!

Soapmaker Man said:
You can also use Wal-Mart's brand Pre-Creamed animal fats shortening also. The above recipe is all veggie, but I like using the Pre-Creamed shortening. Use 25% of this instead of the Crisco. It will be a firmer bar, too.

When you use the pre-creamed animal fats shortening, do you run it thru soap calc as crisco or what?

Thanks

Godiva said:
Soapmaker Man said:
You can also use Wal-Mart's brand Pre-Creamed animal fats shortening also. The above recipe is all veggie, but I like using the Pre-Creamed shortening. Use 25% of this instead of the Crisco. It will be a firmer bar, too.

When you use the pre-creamed animal fats shortening, do you run it thru soap calc as crisco or what?

Thanks

Run it as "lard" in SoapCalc. :wink:

Paul

Barb said:
check your suppliers website, to see in the description of the fragrance oil if it contains vanilla. most will say if the fragrance oils discolors. or there is the fragrance review board.

i have used the vanilla stabilizer from bitter creek ( made specifially for lye soaps ) and it kept my pink sugar from solas from turning brown. it smells rather yucky in the bottle but i can't detect in it in the finished cured bar. i do think it gave the bar a different texture, sorta spongy feeling. you mix it in equal amounts to your fragrance oil so in my case i just added an extra 4 oz. of liquid to my soap and it just might take 8 weeks for it to feel the same as my regular bars at 6.

Can you discount the water by that 4oz? I have no clue, just asking.

Paul
Maybe you can help me. I just do not think my soaps are hard enough. Here is my recipe for a 4lb batch of soap

15 oz Coconut oil
16 oz olive oil
4 oz castor oil
7.5 oz palm oil
15oz water
6.21oz lye

What do you think? Can u help me?

Annmarie

Well I'm well on my way to making my first batch of the Walmart soap. I went to Walmart tonight and purchased most of the items I needed. Tomorrow I'm going to search a few stores for the other items. If I'm missing items I need just let me know.

Check - Coconut Oil
Check - Crisco
Check - Olive Oil (lightest they have)
Check - Canola Oil
Check - Safflower Oil
Out of Stock - Castor Oil
Dont carry in stores - Lye
Out of Stock - Digital Scale
Check - Stick Blender
Check - (2) Candy Thermometers

It took me some time but I think I figured out the Soapcalc. :D :D :D

That is awesome!! 3 Pound loaf with 2 oz fragrance per lb
(Is this too much or too little with the fragrance?)

Coconut 45%
Olive 20%
Crisco 10%
Canola 13%
Safflower 7%
Castor 5%

Hardness 42
Cleansing 30
Condition 51
Bubbly 35
Creamy 17
Iodine 59
INS 165

Questions whats does the Iodine do in the bar and what is INS?

The break down Does this sound like it would be a good bar to make?
Water 18.24 oz
Lye 7.14
Coconut 21.6
Olive 9.6
Crisco 4.8
Canola 6.24
Safflower 3.36
Castor 2.4
Fragrance 6.0

One more question: What would be a too high lye concentration?

Thanks

This should be called "US Wal-Mart Recipe".
Poor Canadiens, Wal-Mart here don't carry half these ingredients. :(

freshwater pearl said:
Sounds great! I finally got the Walmart coconut oil- wow what a GREAT price!

I use the Walmart coconut oil, too. It is a great bargain and everytime I go there I get a couple of containers. It's also the only place that I can find a bucket of lard.

AHH.... shame on me for skimming sometimes instead of reading... I was wondering why my walmart soap is always so soft and fragile feeling (also takes a good 7-8 hours to gel in a 3lb wooden mold).

I have never tried a water discount before, but basically what would have been 12oz. of water should only be 8oz.?

BTW - this is the BEST!!!! to start soaping with.. it's wonderful, easy to get supplies, and not a large cash investment. It's often said around here - but Paul is the man :lol:

Palm Oil?

I can't seem to find Palm Oil at my local Super Walmart. Is it in the same section as the coconut oil? I found the coconut oil no problem.

Thanks!

There is no palm oil at my local walmart, I asked and they told me that it is not something that walmart sells. For that matter they don't have safflower oil either, but Krogers does. The original walmart recipe doesn't have palm oil in it.

mamaT said:
The original walmart recipe doesn't have palm oil in it.

I should have double checked that, my mistake. Thanks for the clarification that Wal-Mart does not carry Palm Oil, good to know!

so is this called the walmart recipe because all the ingredients can be purchased at walmart?

i like that walmart is cheap and would be nice to get all my ingredients in one spot but i couldnt forgive myself for shopping at walmart

newbie question

K this is my first post and I'm still researching about soap, I have never made any and I plan on buying to make some with income tax! So my question is how much would you superfat the recipe and there is more than one option for some of the oils on the calc so which one do you use?

Latest posts

Back