Patchouli Essential Oil - smell after long cure

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Stephd31

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I know that patchouli is a popular scent especially when blended with other essential oils like lavender or orange. I love patchouli myself.
However, I've noticed after a long curing period, or just having the soap for several months, that my patchouli soaps smell a lot like pinesol.
Is this just me, and I'm doing or not doing something I should? Or does everyone experience this phenomenon? Just curious.

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I have always used patchouli in a blend, as a single fragrance. I have had no problems with blends.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite blends is patchouli and orange. I've never noticed patchouli ever smelling like anything other than patch, even at 1 year.

Stephd31

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So weird. I'll look more into my soap recipes to see if that's what I'm doing wrong. I buy my patchouli from Bulk Apothecary, I know a lot of other people do too so I doubt that's the cause.

Jersey Girl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a patchouli/orange 10x soap I made over 4 months ago and it still smells wonderful and strong. The patch is a FO and the Orange is an EO. Both were from BB.

Becky1024

Reaction score
I use the dark patchouli and it is one of my longest lasting scents.

MasterGiff

Reaction score
I used this patchouli/sandlewood EO in my last batch of tallow soap. My soaps cured for about 2 months. They have a very earthy smell when washing but I smell great all day after I shower.

Attachments

Stephd31

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess it's time for me to start doing some testing. I fall into the category of those who love patchouli, when my soap falls short I'm definitely disappointed.

Latest posts